curious about mead taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I have never tasted mead. I Love the taste of honey! So the idea of making a mead intrigues me. But, I'm beginning to understand that it takes a good bit of time (and $$$) to make a good one.

I guess my question is: Is there a commercially produced mead that I can try to see if I like it before I invest time, money, and valuable carboy space? If so, Where would I find one?

Thanks,

Kornbread

Mind you, you can probably make a gallon of mead for less than it'll cost to buy a commercial bottle of it. I've never seen it for less than $13 in a store.

I liken the taste somewhat to white wine, but different. Usually less acidic, less citrusy and more floral, but not always.

It's pretty light, but quite tasty. It doesn't taste like honey in the same way that cider doesn't taste like apple juice. The flavor elements are there, but they're different from the fermentation process.

I think the leprechaun pretty well nailed it.
You can make a gallon for about the price of a bottle. It does take a good long time, and you will make better mead that you can buy.
I'd recommend to anyone that they buy a well liked brand, and if you even have the slightest inkling that you might like it, make some...You will be glad you did.

Milhouse is just spoiled....He works right near a great liquor store that carries the best commercial mead in town. Most of us have to actually seek out a big liqueur store that carries mead....but it's well worth your time to do so.

Your local liquor store should carry mead.

Unfortunately a LOT of commercial mead is a horrible representation of what mead CAN be.

Chaucer's mead is an excellent example of a widely available mead...that tastes like the sweat off a mule's taint. And its worse if you add the mulling spices.

1 gallon of mead is a pretty cheap way to try it out. Just need the patience to let it age before you sample it and pass judgement.

That said, I enjoy mead even when its young and has a lot of heat.

Unfortunately a LOT of commercial mead is a horrible representation of what mead CAN be.

Chaucer's mead is an excellent example of a widely available mead...that tastes like the sweat off a mule's taint. And its worse if you add the mulling spices.

That is so refreshing to hear. Because I was like kornbread, so when I was in town, I picked some Chaucer's up ($9.99) and I thought it very much tasted like the taint of a mule hooker.

I actually was unable to drink it.

1 gallon of mead is a pretty cheap way to try it out. Just need the patience to let it age before you sample it and pass judgement.

That said, I enjoy mead even when its young and has a lot of heat.

My first mead was made 6 weeks ago and just went into 750ML bottles last night. From this newbies experience, I can say that after the first few weeks it tasted really strong and I wasnt too fond of it, but even at a young 6 weeks, it tasted a lot better. The spices were beginning to come through, as was the orange.

On top of all this, my mead was made with bread yeast (JAOM calls for it) and put toghether in about 15 minutes. I can definitely say that I will be trying another recipe soon, probably with champagne yeast.

I'd say to try it out, but give it at least 2 months to age, before you start thinking of giving it a thumbs up or down.

Im saiving my JAOM for this coming X-mas, where I always go to a traditional Sankta Lucia party. I think that mead is an excellent libation to bring to such.

Cheers

Lucas

My first mead was made 6 weeks ago and just went into 750ML bottles last night. From this newbies experience, I can say that after the first few weeks it tasted really strong and I wasnt too fond of it, but even at a young 6 weeks, it tasted a lot better. The spices were beginning to come through, as was the orange.

On top of all this, my mead was made with bread yeast (JAOM calls for it) and put toghether in about 15 minutes. I can definitely say that I will be trying another recipe soon, probably with champagne yeast.

I'd say to try it out, but give it at least 2 months to age, before you start thinking of giving it a thumbs up or down.

Im saiving my JAOM for this coming X-mas, where I always go to a traditional Sankta Lucia party. I think that mead is an excellent libation to bring to such.

Cheers

Lucas
Work your way up through the yeasts. Make a batch of JAO but with 71B or D47 maybe, that'll give you an idea of how dry it can taste, then try a champagne yeast.

The champoo yeast will ferment it out as dry as hell, plus it can sometimes have an alcohol hotness that's really "blleeeaaarrrrggggghhhhhh". If it does taste hideous, don't bin it, just bulk age it for a year or so, most of the horrors would have aged out of it.

That is so refreshing to hear. Because I was like kornbread, so when I was in town, I picked some Chaucer's up ($9.99) and I thought it very much tasted like the taint of a mule hooker.
I actually was unable to drink it.

Hey, at least you know your taste buds are still intact and you know "Cr@p" when you taste it. The first time I had Chaucers it made me sick, and I thought I was turning diabetic. Years later I tasted a "good" mead and was hooked. I just have a hard time giving up a carboy and fridge space for the extended ferment. Brew-on :rockin:

...The first time I had Chaucers it made me sick, and I thought I was turning diabetic...

That's funny. :D

Ok, I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm gonna start researching some recipes. I'll probably start off with a couple of gallons in my Mr. Beer keg. Good idea/Bad Idea?

Thanks for the input guys,

Kornbread

My first mead was made 6 weeks ago and just went into 750ML bottles last night.

Be careful bottling after 6 weeks. Make sure that it's fully fermented. Also, you may get some sediment in the bottles if your mead hadn't clarified.

I think that one of the issues with commercial meads is aging. I was talking to a commercial mead maker recently. He only ages a mead for 3-6 months before it hits the shelves. They have to worry about costs, tank space, filling orders, etc. Our biggest issue is patience.

Not to mention if they hold it, I believe they have to pay taxes on it every year. I'm pretty sure wineries do.

The MAN is trying to make us drink green brew!

I'm also interested in a good commercial mead.
Pretty much believed only vikings drank it before i joined the forums.
(well, vikings and this one metalhead that tried brewing it once)

I have never tasted mead. I Love the taste of honey! So the idea of making a mead intrigues me. But, I'm beginning to understand that it takes a good bit of time (and $$$) to make a good one.

I guess my question is: Is there a commercially produced mead that I can try to see if I like it before I invest time, money, and valuable carboy space? If so, Where would I find one?

Thanks,

Kornbread

Hello kornbread: good mead is the taste of honey without the sweetness to go with it; I know it's tough to imagine that, but leprechaun nailed it with the juice/cider analogy. I've only ever had 1 decent mead that was produced commercially & I think that was an anomaly rather than the rule; my 2nd & 3rd bottles from them (Honeyrun) reminded me of cat piss, but the 1st bottle was really tasty. Maybe the stuff would be worth trying after a couple of years more aging though. I'd recommend you read The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm before you start, it will likely save you some money & help to answer questions. Checkout www.gotmead.com or www.honeywine.com both sites have lists of comercial meaderies. I've got several several gallons of mead aging in the closet now; I started them in November of '06 & they're just now starting to mellow. As you're in NC, you'll have access to some really good honey (orange blossom, tulip poplar, tupelo, etc...) and good honey is the key, along with a lot of patience. And I'd avoid the following: Chaucer's, Trapper Creek, and Mission Mountain; as far as Honeyrun goes, it's hit & miss, though their melomels aren't bad. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

I've toured the Redstone Meadery in Boulder, Colorado, their mead is pretty good. I believe they're active on the gotmead forums, too, but I'm not so I can't be certain.

If you're in the Boulder area, it's a great trip - you get a sample of each of their varieties for free (I liked the pinot pyment the best). They don't do anything real crazy with it, although they've put lower alcohol carbonated meads in kegs so a few local bars have it on tap, which is pretty nifty.

I've not really experimented with commercial brands mostly because (as I said earlier) it's way more cost effective to make your own, but Redstone was good, in my opinion.

I am sitting here sipping on a glass of the Redstone Raspberry mead. I am not that impressed. it certainly isn't bad, but for the $17.00 that this bottle (22oz) I could be making a gallon. The mead tastes nearly identical to one I used not near enough honey, and not nearly enough raspberry. Mine ended up at 3.2%, I'm not sure how they got this one to 12%. It has a definite watered down honey flavor, but it's not that pleasing.
Anyone that likes Redstone Mead, I beg of you to build a gallon of your own. You'll be AMAZED at how much better you can do!

I've never tried mead either. I've asked around at various liquor stores, and none of them sell it. Maybe its a Texas thing. I'd love to try some good mead, but considering the long aging required, I don't think I'm going to bother trying to make something that I've never even tasted.

I'm interested in trying to make mead as well on a small scale (1 gallon). I brew all grain and majority of my beer goes to kegs and gets force carbonated, what is the reader's digest version of packaging mead into bottles? Does it require carbonation sugar? Are bottles w/ caps ok or do they get packaged like wine?

The one comercial mead I have tried did taste pretty foul (don't remember the name). I'd like to try a bit of my own. Thanks.

I had about 5 or 6 gallons of mead on seconday and bottled BEFORE I tasted my first commercial Mead. It was Chaucers with the little spice bag.I asked the wine guy if they had any good Meads in Central Market (specs carries it too in TX. )and he pointed me to it. Me and SWMBO had a taste it and she had that look like you actually made this? Long story longer I went home and tried some of mine to see......... and now my worst least expensive Mead taste 50 times better than what I bought.

......... and now my worst least expensive Mead taste 50 times better than what I bought.

This is such a common statement. People are always amazed at how easy and how good Home Made Mead is. You just can't beat it. I will say that Meadery of the Rockies comes VERY close to what I make. VERY close! In fact, I'd be happy to find a clone recipe.

what is the reader's digest version of packaging mead into bottles? Does it require carbonation sugar? Are bottles w/ caps ok or do they get packaged like wine?

Beer bottles and caps are fine. You can even bottle carb with priming sugar if your yeast has enough poop left to pop. I really like to bottle mead in Miller Highlife bottles...they are clear and have a nice wine bottle look, and with no hops, no danger of skunking. Still mead is also fine in beer bottles.

I am sitting here sipping on a glass of the Redstone Raspberry mead. I am not that impressed. it certainly isn't bad, but for the $17.00 that this bottle (22oz) I could be making a gallon.
That's a pretty bad price for it... I can get it cheaper here in DC and it costs you that much in CO? Shocking.

Their melomels weren't that exciting, although the reserve raspberry was quite good (think you can only buy it at the meadery), but I really liked the juniper metheglin and the pinot pyment... maybe I should make my own juniper metheglin!

That's a pretty bad price for it... I can get it cheaper here in DC and it costs you that much in CO? Shocking.

Their melomels weren't that exciting, although the reserve raspberry was quite good (think you can only buy it at the meadery), but I really liked the juniper metheglin and the pinot pyment... maybe I should make my own juniper metheglin!
Yer lucky to have such choice! I don't know of any "proper" meadery over here, they tend to be "normal" vineyards that also happen to make a bit of mead and if you dug through my blog you'd see the mini-review I did about 6 months ago on 4 different ones. Between £5 and £8 per half bottle (a little less that 2 times that for the price in $US). So they're over priced, excessively sweet and not too much fun to drink!

Plus the place where I picked them up, doesn't seem to stock anything else - in fact I haven't heard of anywhere that makes pyments, cysers, metheglins, etc etc commercially.

Hence the ones that you can get might be a bit crap, but at least you have some choice!

regards

fatbloke

Back