Im worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmarti

Reaction score
I noticed that after 4 days there were no actively moving bubbles in my airlock just what looked like light carbonation so i pitched another packet of safole-50 dry yeast and so far still no moving bubbles its been about a week since i started fermentation. Is this batch ruined? Is there any way to know if it is actually done fermenting without a hydrometer?

Get a hydrometer. Bubbles in the airlock can be deceiving. A small leak in a bucket lid will kill them. What temp were you fermenting at?

robmarti said:
I noticed that after 4 days there were no actively moving bubbles in my airlock just what looked like light carbonation so i pitched another packet of safole-50 dry yeast and so far still no moving bubbles its been about a week since i started fermentation. Is this batch ruined? Is there any way to know if it is actually done fermenting without a hydrometer?

Hi robmarti, welcome to HBT.

In general, air lock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation activity or progress. A hydrometer really is the only way to know for sure.

4 days is enough time for fermentation to have completed. I really doubt that your batch is ruined. Its pretty rare that yeast doesn't do anything at all, so I bet that you had fermentation or its still going on right now.

Are you fermenting in a bucket or in a carboy? I'm asking this because often times with buckets the lid doesn't fit perfectly snug and so you wouldn't see a lot of airlock activity.

Did you ever see any air lock activity?

Is there a ring of gunk around the bucket/carboy just above the level of the liquid? This would be indicative of a krausen, which would mean fermentation has occured.

What was the recipe? What yeast did you pitch the first time? What temperature did the beer ferment at?

Hey, Thank you i can see this site will be extremely helpful :)

Im currently using a bucket and the only airlock activity ive seen is some carbonation like a soda just accumulating on the sides.

The recipe was just a simple Amber Ale for my first brew hah.
I pitched safale-50 the first time as well and i store the wort at 70 degrees F

I have had two different batches ferment to completion, and I never saw a single bubble. You really need a hydrometer, that will tell you where you are at.

but dont' stick your face in there. if it did ferment, there's a blanket of CO2 inside, and if you try to sniff your beer, you'll about pass out.

I know better, and I still did this last weekend when I was checking out my first lager attempt.

I'd almost put money on your fermenter not having a tight seal. gas always takes the path of least resistance. a pinhole is less resistance than an inch of water in your airlock.

definitely get a hydrometer (or two..they break easily). its an invaluable tool to the brewer.

Back