The Winds of Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was cleaning out the garage last night around 6:30 or so when it came…

That huge gust of wind. Cool, dry and sustained. Gusting and bending trees just a bit and sweeping in a cool front.

It felt great. Smelled like Fall and there was definitely a chill in the air.

Next thing I know…I’m thinking… Stout. I need to brew a stout. No wait…a porter. Nice creamy “Black Pearl Porter”. Or how bout an English Bitters.

Just like cold weather makes me crave a good bowl of chili, it also turns my brewing thoughts from wits and light ales, to the richer, darker brews.

Anyone else affected by the seasons?

My guess is yes, given the increase in inquiries about “pumpkin spice” recipes.

Ha I know! I've got a lone star clone conditioning right now but I can't wait to brew up a porter.

I heard on the news last night that it was going to cool down, I peeked my head out of the kitchen to see. Newsman said it would "cool down" to 89!

A porter and a bass clone are deffinatly soon to come

Won't be fall for me until NOV.
I know what you're saying, but I've been known to enjoy a hot cup of coffee on a 110° day or a Guinness after a long run.

Nights 'round here are startingto cool off in the low 80's.

A sure sign for me is the bermuda grass dies off and its time to plant the rye grass.

I just put in the Diamondbacks turf last year, so that won't even happen anymore...

Walked outside this morning in my boxers (like I do every morning) to let the dogs out. It was almost cold...cool, but I guess upper 60s feels cold when you are used to waking up to a humid 85.

I am ready to brew my English beers! (Brown and stout) Fall is my favorite time of year!

Yeah, the first time I smell that cool air every year, I start going crazy for the wait until the Texas Ren Fest! One more month to go, and I gotta get going brewing so there is enough to go around in camp....

Must be the same front that hit us last evening. Put a chill in my spine and almost made me take a light jacket to work. Brewing did cross my mind, but so did:
1. Winterize the boat.
2. Winterize the SeaDoo.
3. Get to doing the stuff outside the house that I was going to do before winter sets in.
4. Get ready to fire up the hot tub.
5. Check all the engines for antifreeze, brakes, washer fluid, etc. etc.
6. Clean out the chimney.
7. Start stacking firewood.
Well, you get the picture. Really odd for us "down here" to get chilly this fast.

BierMuncher said:
So I was cleaning out the garage last night around 6:30 or so when it came…

That huge gust of wind. Cool, dry and sustained. Gusting and bending trees just a bit and sweeping in a cool front.

It felt great. Smelled like Fall and there was definitely a chill in the air.

Anyone else affected by the seasons?

This makes me ache to be back up north. The South is nice, but I do miss the cold weather.

Sigh :eek:

the_bird said:
The heat must be making you loopy, son... :drunk:

I've just been away too long, is all. I'm sure after a week or two in Michigan in January I'd be like "F*** this, I'm heading back to Dixie!". :D

I actually have a Porter that's in Secondary and Aging for Christmas. As for the stout craving, I've been feeling that for a while now. In fact, the stout I was going to brew last weekend is going to get brewed this weekend. Along with an IPA. ;)

I think it was a cool 90 degrees outside today while I worked on my truck. Love that crisp fall weather here in Houston.:D

I hear ya Houston - it got all the way down to 84 here last night. Weatherman says lows might even dip into the 70's by week's end. We have four seasons here - hot & humid, really hot & humid, f'n hot & humid and Christmas when it's not quite as hot but still humid.

Well, 42F this morning and 94F right now. Stout for breakfast (I wish) and a Bent Rod Rye with lunch. I do brew-heavy in colder weather.

Yeah, it affect me that way. It dropped to the low-50s overnight and today it was very breezy and didn't crack 70oF! Supposed to stay this way, too.

I've been looking forward to Fall. For me, this time of year says one thing - Oktoberfest! I had my first Sam Adams O'fest last weekend! I try and sample as many O'fests as I can this time of year!

I think I've got you all beat. I had a thick layer of ice on my car windshield this morning. Yep, ICE. The aspens have begun changing color - they're a little late this year. Fall is definately here and winter cannot be far behind. I guess it's time for me to start thinking about brewing lagers. I use a dead fridge sitting on my deck for my fermentation space. I HEAT it with a light bulb. I can lager in my crawlspace which gets down below 40 in the middle of the winter.

I'd planned to brew more ales during the summer, but finding time to brew was difficult. There isn't nearly as much to do on them cold winter weekends, so I guess I'll just plan on doing most of my brewing in the winter. I can still do ales, I'll just have to turn the heat up in the fermentation "fridge" or talk SWMBO into letting me ferment them in the "spare" bathroom.

brloomis said:
This makes me ache to be back up north. The South is nice, but I do miss the cold weather.

I know the feeling... I'm used to Michigan winters and I've been in Kentucky and DC the past several years. Without a few feet of snow, it's not really winter, and when April rolls around without a winter, your body does odd things.

I miss winter... It's been many years...

I started brewing a few porters about a month ago so they'll be good and ready by the time it gets chilly around here. Granted it was still in the upper 80's last weekend(I went up to New Hampshire last weekend for our annual Uconn Guy's Weekend and it was so hot we couldn't have our normal blazing fire, kind of a bummer...)

I brewed a porter about 6 weeks ago. I want to give it several months to age before I tap it. Should be ready to drink come November. I might try to do a X-mas ale, but haven't done much research on it yet. Something like an Old Fezziwig, (sp?). Any suggestions? I've also been ramping up production for the football season. Figure I'll drop down to one batch a month in Octover, November and December. Probably ramp back up near the end of the year.

I thought the same thing this morning. It was like 62 this morning here and a high of 70 today. Certainly not cold by Ohio standards, but compared to the string of 90 degree days that we recently had, it's a nice feeling.

I agree with BM, time to put together shopping lists for some porters, stouts, and a nice holiday ale.

It will be another month until it drops below 70 even at night. Here in Florida, Oct-March is nice, that is why so many people from up north come down to clog up the highways:)
I make all different kinds of beer year round as I need a fermentation fridge for every batch regardless of the time of year.

Back