solution for one tank, multiple carb levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi all, I was at Canadian Tire over lunch getting parts to build a carbonator cap when I saw something else. I recently picked up some corny kegs and a CO2 tank and plan on kegging both sodas and beer. I read that people have problems with the differing carb levels since soda is usually carbed at a higher level. People use two regulators to deal with this.

Well regulators are expensive... I saw this "air adjusting valve with gauge" that may do the trick. The idea is to have it inline like this:

tank -> regulator (pressure set to higher soda level) -> T connector ->
T1 -> adjusting valve set to beer carb levels -> beer kegs
T2 -> soda kegs

So the initial pressure would be set to 30 psi for the soda and the valve/guage set to 10-20psi to limit the pressure for the beer.

Does this sound ok? I may be wrong if this gauge does not limit pressure that way.

Air and CO2 are different. If the valve can handle CO2 then I say, sure.

Right, I forgot to mention this was another question I had; and also are the parts "food safe" and does it matter (probably)?

I'm going to check out Princess Auto soon, I think they have more parts and fittings, including ones for CO2.

BTW that valve / gauge costs $30.

I guess the real question is how is the valve lubricated. Food safe vales would have silicone or teflon bushings for the vale action wheras an air line valve would probly be oiled, maybe.

btw, an inline reg can be had for $30 to $40. Works on the same principle. step down the pressure at different points on the line.

The problem with that is it does not regulate pressure just air flow. I have used those on air tools and as long as the tool is running the pressure will be lower but as soon as the tool stops the air pressure climes back up.

The problem with that is it does not regulate pressure just air flow. I have used those on air tools and as long as the tool is running the pressure will be lower but as soon as the tool stops the air pressure climes back up.

Thank for that info. I was wondering if it worked that way.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for inline regulators. Thanks, guys.

Doesn't look like it has a check valve either, which could translate to soda getting in your beer. As others have mentioned, a new secondary regulator with a check valve costs about $35, and can sometimes be found even cheaper.

Latest posts

Back