Home brew Delivery nightmare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
My lastest delivery arrived today. Delivered to my parents, so I popped round after work to pick it up.

Noticed white powder leaking out of the box.... tasted it, DOH! Sodium Metabisulfate. Man that stuff stinks!

Got the box opened and it was everywhere about 1/2 a lb of it all over the new bottles, the spraymalt bag, everything.

Rinsed everything down and now I absolutely stink of sulphur. I have washed my hands 3 times and done the dishes and all I can smell is sulphur. I'm drink a can of lager and all I can taste is sulphur!

I think a nice little email to the online shop to suggest that they pack chemicals better and definately not in a big box with a 1.7Kg can of LME!

Yuk.

Paul

that sucks! who'd you order from? someone on our side of the pond or over on your side? you'd think they would know to pack it properly, maybe the delivery guy(s) handled the package roughly.

I was worried it was my DME! I was thinking, "please don't let it taste sweet... please don't let it taste sweet."... "Oh **** it doesn't taste sweet, YUK! <spit, spit, spit, bathroom for a drink>"

Nothing is damaged, I bought 500g of SM and I doubt I'll use that in 6 months. At least I know everything is sterile after rinsing it down in a well ventilated room.

I'm not naming and shaming, mistakes happen, sellers get at least 2 strikes with me. I emailed them with a suggestion that packing a bag of chemicals in a large box with lightwieght bottles AND a large can of LME is unwise and they should of at least put it in a sturdy cardboard box of it's own and then inside the big box.

Well, I emailed them last week, got a reply offering to replace the SodMet and the bottles that where damaged.

So fair play to them. Looks like they will also swap the SodMet replacement for Young's powdered bleach sterilizer.

So all round a fair company.

Back