Mead in a growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A test batch? Sure, just slap an airlock on it. However, might as well just get a gallon glass jug (cheap wine or juice from Whole Foods) and use that instead. That way you at least get a gallon of mead.

Cn u post a recipe or something because I have never made a mead and really Want to make a small batch becuz I have never made one and also all my fermentors are full lol

I'd suggest searching the forum for a good recipe. There are many award-winning recipes on here that you can check out.

The quickest, easiest mead that I have seen on this forum is JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead). At the top of these pages is a "Recipes" button. Scroll down to "Mead" and JAOM is usually at the top (Just checked). It's very easy to do.

If you feel that is too time consuming, try a "Show Mead". Which means (almost) 3 ingredients: water, honey and yeast. Have you brewed before? Sanitize the growler. Add water and 2-3 pounds of honey. Add a tsp of yeast nutrient. Reconstitue yeast (either a recommended one from your lowcal brew shop or *gasp* bread yeast). After 15 mins of reconstituting yeast. Pitch yeast into must (i.e pour yeast into honey water). Put an airlock on top and let it sit for a month or so. Next, transfer (rack) it to another growler leaving the sludge at the bottom. Air lock and ignore for another month. Then, bottle. I would give it another month AT LEAST before you drink it. You can, but it probably won't taste the best that it could.

NOTES: If you use bread yeast, use less honey. The better honey you buy, the more flavorful and complex it will tast (think Miller Lite to Guiness)

I hope that helps. There will be other posters to follow with better advice than mine, but it's late so... it might be a while...

Back