AHS Chocolate Rasberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
For some reasons the directions say to mash at 150F, doesn't this seem low for a stout? I thought you wanted more body for this style. I was planning to mash at 156-158f, does anyone else agree?? View attachment recipes.bsm

At those higher temps, you will have a less fermentable wort. If Austin Homebrew says 150 for their recipe, they must have a reason. I recommend sticking to the directions the first time.

EdWort said:
At those higher temps, you will have a less fermentable wort. If Austin Homebrew says 150 for their recipe, they must have a reason. I recommend sticking to the directions the first time.

How can you not listen to a guy with the "blingman"?

landhoney said:
What's the OG supposed to be w/o the raspberries? (can't open the file)

1.056 It's a rasberry extract that doesn't get added until kegging.

Aclay said:
I don't understand where you got 150 Degrees F at. The recipe says 161.2 Degrees F.

150f is under mash temp, 161f is before you add the grains.

wildwest450 said:
1.056 It's a rasberry extract that doesn't get added until kegging.

I'd taste the extract and make sure I wanted that flavor in the beer. I have never used them, but many say that they can be too 'medicine'y' Its probably going to be on the dry side at 1.056 and mashing at 150F, but there's nothing wrong with that - just know what you're in for.

Back