issues with batch #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireball

Reaction score
my second batch of cider is giving me something to think about, I added sugar (sucrose) and cinnamon. it fermented down to 1.000 very quickly but taste is interesting in an almost unfavourable way. the cinnamon is ok but there's a sweetness and an unappealling mouth feel, like water. I didn't think pushing the ABV by 1% with sugar would be noticeable, I expected something very dry.....

or am I just overreacting? :(

3gal pure juice SG 1.046
sugar to SG 1.055
cinnamon can't remember (about 1/4 of a spiced recipe I found)
nutrient as per instructions
pitched with EC1118

apple is very light taste that can be covered by carbonation and other spices very easily, it wont be enhance...might of added to much cinnamon?

it's pretty light on the cinnamon, you get the tartness first, the apple followed close by the cinnamon. I'll definately skip the cinnamon from here on, at least in any quantity. I'll just age it until the first batch is gone, it's not foul, just off slightly and probably would be ok if it tasted dry.

Arneba28 said:
apple is very light taste that can be covered by carbonation and other spices very easily, it wont be enhance...might of added to much cinnamon?

I always thought it was two loaves in a bag of water, hawk a few loogies in and let 'er boogie under your cellmates bunk? :D

RICLARK said:
put 2 loafs of bread into a trashbag with 2 gallons of water let sit three monthes and then add it to your wort. :rolleyes:

A common necessity with ciders, apple wines, and cysers is aging. While apple flavor comes through strongly or at least more easily with a sweeter brew but aging can do wonders. Give it at least a few months and try some then.

Latest posts

Back