Bragg's Maple Spring Ale (brewed with maple sap)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex60

Reaction score
When I searched maple sap there were quite a few posts found so I wanted to post my recipe and results for anyone else looking at maple sap as an ingredient. BTW Mr Bragg is the man that gave me the sap and the syrup used for priming, so hence the name. It took 9 days for firmentation to complete not sure why so long. Some may disagree with my hop selection but I have a batch that I really liked and my idea was that if the maple flavor didn't come through at all I still wanted a batch that I would enjoy drinking.

Bragg's Maple Spring Ale

Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Extract
IBU's: 40.54 Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 6.0 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.008
ABV. 6.81 %

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 9 days @ 70.0°F
Secondary 7 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 28 days @ 70.0°F ???

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.00 lbs 92.31 % Northwestern Gold 60 mins 1.046
0.50 lbs 7.69 % Northwestern gold DME 60 mins 1.045

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 31.02 Nugget 50 mins 13.00
0.25 ozs 3.94 Nugget 10 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 5.57 Warrior 5 mins 16.70

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg California Ale White Labs

Amount Name Time Stage
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient 10 mins Boil

Notes
Substituting 5 gal of maple sap for water boiled down to 4 gal then added in one gal water to start timed boil.

Priming with 1 cup maple syrup

This beer turned out very smooth with a subtle hint of the Maple taste. I just opened the first bottle and it needs another week for carbonation. The serving temperature was to cold so the first few sips there was no Maple taste but I was sipping the beer and the flavor started to show through some so I warmed it up just a bit with my hands on the glass and then there it was. Smooth not the primary flavor. But then that wasnt what I was shooting for anyways. It's not sweet but definatly maple. I love it when a plan comes together.

Back