i need new thermometers any sugestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
i need new thermometers any sujestions of good instant read ones or or digital i have a good dial one but like to have one of each.:mug:

A thermapen is $95, and that works for some people.. I tried all manner of digital thermometers and one day brewed with a guy that used a glass lab thermometer, it was just as fast as the digital, probably way more accurate, and can't run out of batteries (although it IS glass)

I got one from the LHBS for $3.99 - that's my current favorite

Thermapen is the ideal purchase, hands down. And its awesomeness has not just been limited to brewing, but my steaks (and pretty much everything else) come out perfect EVERY TIME now.

I have a floating one I use for mashing. A dial from the local shop, a decent digital that's not instant and I'm gonna get a glass one like you stated and save up for a thermapen

I have a candy one I got at Walmart that has a stainless back and shields the glass part so it's almost unbreakable. Oh and it has a clip so it can hang on the side of the pot and it was like $2.

When I needed a new thermometer I considered buying a Thermapen. However, I thought it may be beneficial to be able to use different probes and be able to hold the meter away from whatever I was measuring (for example, for ease of reading the display). I decided on getting the Therma Plus from Thermoworks (same company who makes the Thermapen).

The $189 price tag may seem extravagant for a thermometer, but I have no regrets buying it. After all, if I was going to spend $89, what's another $100? :rolleyes: It reads temps very quickly, is rugged, and can be submersed in liquid. I tend to make a mess, so that last point is crucial for me. :eek:

I use it for cooking and brewing. I don't think I could do without it now.

I've only brewed one batch that's in a secondary.. Which apparently is an unneeded step haha didn't know that. I'm about to brew another batch I've got the bug. I just need a better thermometer and to try and understand this recipe

holy crap, i could get another pump.... I just use my finger... accurate within 50 degrees

Yep, it's definitely a "cadillac" thermometer. But I have about 10 others that I bought over the years, probably $5 to $20 each, that either went out of calibration too easily, or the batteries died immediately (for the digitals) and so on. I could have saved about $100 or more by buying a good thermometer in the first place!

I had a decent $20 digital with a probe from Target that lasted the longest, but I think I got the cord went and it went kitty whompus during a mash and ruined that batch by reading too low.

I hear ya... why buy 5, when you you can buy one... :) just looked it up and saw it for like 75 bucks... Considering the dial we had was off a little, might be a good investment...

Our dial was off by 11 degrees, which blows, so instead of mashing at 154, it was 143...

I never found a thermometer I liked for one reason or another. What I really wanted was an accurate remote temperature reading with a long probe. Like 3 feet long. So I got a LM34 sensor for $2.50, stuck it into the crimped and soldered end of 1/4" copper tubing (10 ft for $10). Adding a voltmeter and a 9V battery gives me +-0.5F accuracy from 0F to 300F. I cut the copper at 4ft and bent about a foot of the upper end in an L shape so it can set in the boil pot, fit into a 1/4 hole in my mash tun lid, or in the hole and stopper I added to my fermenter just for this purpose.

I use a cole parmer K type traceable/calibrated therm with a 10' waterproof probe. I drilled a 1/32 hole in my water cooler tun, just below where the lid collar stops when fully screwed down. I feed the probe wire through and read the therm without constantly opening the top. I only open to stir a time or 2 during the mash and the temp stays dead on. It's been great. The thermometer was $40 and the waterproof probe was another $15 or $20.

Back