Pressure differential?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
So a buddy bought a dive bar with 5 beers on tap. All of the kegs are in one fridge under the bar and have 3 towers coming up through the bar. (two doubles and a single) There is one CO2 tank which goes from the tank, which is stored outside of the fridge, which goes into the fridge, then to a couple of gas splitters to feed each keg. One faucet is consistently foamy pours.( its the tower with one faucet). It is fed from the fisrt splitter, and tasts as cold as the rest. The other beer from that splitter, as well as the other 3 are all fine. If anything slightly less head than you'd expect. The gas is set at 14psi, which ithought must be the culprit, but why are the others fine?

You need to check a couple things to start. First would be to pull out a thermometer and actually measure the temperature of each beer. Ensure that the kegs had all been in the cooler for 24 hours to avoid agitation issues and to get the temps the same. This will tell you if you have a cooling problem with one of the towers.

Second, check the length of all the beer lines. If they are different, then you are going to have issues with one gas pressure. While you are down there, check the lines for any signs of aging (discoloration, rock hard, etc.), damage, or uncleanly conditions. If the lines are crappy, I would change them all out before opening for business. Serving good beer through bad lines is a good way to serve off flavor beer and lose customers.

If you are serving BMC, you should be targeting 38F at 13-15 psi. This will give proper carbonation. The lines will have to be redesigned if you do not get the proper pour at these settings. Feel free to PM me if you need some more guidance.

One last note...make sure you clean the lines every 2 weeks for optimal flavor and to avoid issues. That is the recommendation from the brewing industry.

Ok, so the original post was while I was sitting at the bar... allow me to elaborate:

It is very much a BMC bar, and the beer is ice cold, but checking the beer lines is a good idea. I know they (and the previous owners) have had the lines professionally cleaned once a week, but I will def. inspect them visually and ask how old they are.

The first pour of each beer at the beginning of the day is mostly foam, which points to the beer in the towers getting warm, so I have already suggested the idea of a fan to circulate, but it's still bizarre that the one keg is consistently foam (it's ML if that matters - and it's been several consecutive kegs, which eliminates a bad keg/carbonation from the brewery)

Thanks again

I'd run the ML keg line looking for a kink or obstruction. If nothing found, and assuming they are all Sanke D System kegs, I'd swap the coupling with one of the less problematic kegs and see if the problem moves...

Cheers!

I agree with d_t. Definitely take a look at that line. You can do the swap, but I'm 99% sure you'll see the problem still since the kegs are all stored together and you've seen the problem across multiple kegs.

If you get the chance, report back on any kinks as well as the line lengths on each line. Also make note if that line runs past any piece of equipment that may be heating that line up unnecessarily.

Back