That's what I get for not reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy1207

Reaction score
So I decided to make SWMBO a strawberry blonde using the recipe "SWMBO Slayer" posted by BierMuncher. All grain, oh noooo. So I kept reading and found this post:

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.6 %
0.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4.8 %
5.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 47.6 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Steep the Flaked Wheat in 145 degree water for 1 hour and proceed to strain, bring to boil and add extracts.

Awesome, I can try partial mash for the first time, went to my LHBS for the first time to pick up the ingredients and today is brew day. I did a little further reading and saw someone question the flaked wheat, saying it's an insane amount for the 5g batch. I did some more reading and didn't find a definitive answer. So I thought I would ask here, does this recipe look good, or am I going to have to take a trip back to the LHBS?

The recipe looks fine IMO. If you were doing all grain I wouldn't want to go over the 60/40 ratio of 2row to wheat. But using extract and flaked wheat is different.

Just my 2c

Yea, your not getting conversion from the flaked wheat by just steeping.

Also this isn't really a partial mash, since your just steeping.

Maxkling said:
Yea, your not getting conversion from the flaked wheat by just steeping.

Also this isn't really a partial mash, since your just steeping.

Excellent point, I consulted a friend and he told me I should mash it, he made a similar recipe. So I'm going to mash. With SWMBO by my side, should be an exciting brew day (as long as I don't get distracted)

I wouldn't mash that exact recipie. Youll end up somewhere over 7% when its said and done with...

So I decided to make SWMBO a strawberry blonde using the recipe "SWMBO Slayer" posted by BierMuncher. All grain, oh noooo. So I kept reading and found this post:

Awesome, I can try partial mash for the first time, went to my LHBS for the first time to pick up the ingredients and today is brew day. I did a little further reading and saw someone question the flaked wheat, saying it's an insane amount for the 5g batch. I did some more reading and didn't find a definitive answer. So I thought I would ask here, does this recipe look good, or am I going to have to take a trip back to the LHBS?

Without Mashing it, you will have a TON of starch that isnt converted, quite honestly isn't really Sweet in the beer. I would add 2lbs of 6 row with the steep grains, steep at 154 for 30-45 mins Drain rinse a bit, and brew as normal, this way you get conversion, it will be STRONG tho. If you already Brewed it without adding something for Conversion, you can always go to the LHBS and pick up some Amylase and add that to your Fermenter Just pre boil and cool a cup of water, When its cooled to about 80 Mix the Amylase in it, then add that to the fermenter, and slosh it around to mix it up.Fermentation will Kick back off as all the starches get converted to sugar, but it will IMHO improve the final beer by a lot. Think Corn starch mixed into a beer, that is about the flavor that flaked wheat will add without conversion to a sugar! For that matter, try mixing 3 tablespoons of Cornstarch into a brew and taste it, If you like it, leave the beer as is, but i doubt you will lol.

Without Mashing it, you will have a TON of starch that isnt converted, quite honestly isn't really Sweet in the beer. I would add 2lbs of 6 row with the steep grains, steep at 154 for 30-45 mins Drain rinse a bit, and brew as normal, this way you get conversion, it will be STRONG tho. If you already Brewed it without adding something for Conversion, you can always go to the LHBS and pick up some Amylase and add that to your Fermenter Just pre boil and cool a cup of water, When its cooled to about 80 Mix the Amylase in it, then add that to the fermenter, and slosh it around to mix it up.Fermentation will Kick back off as all the starches get converted to sugar, but it will IMHO improve the final beer by a lot. Think Corn starch mixed into a beer, that is about the flavor that flaked wheat will add without conversion to a sugar! For that matter, try mixing 3 tablespoons of Cornstarch into a brew and taste it, If you like it, leave the beer as is, but i doubt you will lol.

Doesn't sound very pleasant. So I would not be mashing, just steeping the 5# flaked wheat and 2# 6 row, then brew as normal?

Doesn't sound very pleasant. So I would not be mashing, just steeping the 5# flaked wheat and 2# 6 row, then brew as normal?

If you do the recipe as is, you'll be steeping. If you add the 6 row, then you'll be mashing. Not the other way around.

This is my friend said:

just stick the flaked wheat in your hop bag and bring the water up to 145 (you may need to apply heat at the 30 min mark and bring it back up to 145), let it soak for an hour. then apply heat until you get 170 then pull out the grains and get a pitcher and rinse the grains with your wort a few times to get the last sugars still in their.

Oh okay, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing because I've never done PM before.

Its really simple man no worries, Soak the 6 row and the flaked wheat In 11 Quarts of water, Heat the water up to 160, then stir in the grains, cover and let sit, Don't worry about holding temp, just let it sit for 45 mins, then Strain the grains out and the water into your brew pot, Pour about a gallon of 170 degree water though the grains in the strainer in to your brew pot, that's all there is too it, dont over think it. Then just continue as you would for your extract brew, it really is that simple!

Yes this is Mashing, but really all Mashing is, is letting the grains soak in a measured amount of hot water so that the enzymes can do their thing.

So I started but made a mistake already which isn't that bad i guess. I didn't heat up my water before hand and it's taking forever, so I'm taking out the grains to heat up the water so this doesn't take 3 years. I turned the heat up to make it go faster, but that almost burned the bag lol.

There is a lot of confusion here.

If you just have the flaked wheat in 145 degree water you are just steeping and getting no conversion and adds nothing but taste to your beer.

If you add 2 or 6 row with the flaked wheat, you will get conversion and adds taste and fermentable sugars to your beer.

If you add 2 or 6 row and mash and keep everything the same with the recipe, like I said earlier you will have a way too strong of beer, around 7%.

Back