Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewBrew

Reaction score
Was thinking about freezing a couple gallon milk jugs full of water, sterilize them and them put them in the wort to chill it like a couple large ice cubes. The caps will remain on and no water would / should get in the wort. Any one ever try or hear about his before. There are few original ideas.

I have heard of this being done. However, I have heard people mention that they sterilize the container - in this case the milk jugs - first and then wrap them up (sanitized plastic bag maybe?) when putting them in the freezer. I'm not exactly sure how it worked out, but it seems like it should work. I also don't think that freezing the jugs and then sanitizing them right before they go in the wort would have any negative effects. If you're able to invest in them, Rapi-Kool sticks are essentially what you're trying to do - Rapi-Kool® Original Quick Chill Freezable Containers / Cold Paddles / New Rapi-Kool® PLUS Cold Paddles / by San Jamar - Restaurant Equipment and Restaurant Supplies at Zesco Products

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Combine that with an ice bath and it should cool the wort pretty fast. Then again this time of year in Alaska you should have a snow bank or two around that you could stick it in. :D

UPDATE: I'll be spending the money to make a coiled wort chiller. The frozen jugs helped but it is like fighting an uphill battle. Tomorrow I'll spend the $ to make a real wort chiller. There is nothing new under the sun!

Back