Recipe opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtwater

Reaction score
Hey guys! Newbie here. Just wanted to get some thoughts on an IPA I put together that I will brew a bit later today. This is my first recipe and I am looking for quite a bit of maltiness and not so much in your face hops but still in the IPA style. Here it is...

10 gallon batch

20 Lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Belgian aromatic
1 lb carapils

Mash 154 for 1 hr

1 oz Columbus 60 min.
1 oz Simcoe 15 min.
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Simcoe 5 min
1 oz Amarillo flame out

Dry hop 1 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe

Is that enough hops?

I plan to experiment on the yeast. I will split the batch into 2, 5 gallon fermentors and use Safale 04 in one and 05 in the other. Anyone see any potential problems. I've been told its too much aromatic but I want big malt on this one. :tank:

I'm not sure about using the aromatic in an IPA - it could be fine, but I've never tried it, and it's not in any of the IPA recipes I have. If you want malt, you could try something like a few pounds of Vienna or Munich instead? Or you could just go for it and see how it comes out.

According to BeerSmith, that beer would be 5.4% ABV, which is right at the bottom end of the style, so I'd be inclined to up the amount of MO and get a stronger beer [EDIT: Doh - forget that. I'd forgotten I'd messed around with the settings. If you get 75% efficiency that'd give you a 6.3% beer, which is more like it]. Bitterness is around 47 IBUs, which again could be higher, but is still to style. My own preference is to skip 15 minute additions, as they don't give you much bitterness, but you also lose a lot of the aroma. How about mixing the Amarillo and Simcoe together, then adding an ounce at 60 minutes together with the Columbus, and the rest at 10 minutes and flameout?

Back