Dry hopping a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
So I have some unopened fuggles pellet hops left over from my brew day on Thursday (bought them in case my whole hops were bad). I was thinking about dropping them in the secondary when I rack it tomorrow, but have never seen a recipe where stouts are dry hopped. Anybody want to weigh in their opinions? Thanks for your help.

I'd say no. Too much hoppiness is a bad thing in browns, porters and stouts. The dark side is more about malty and grainy.

How big of batch did you make. My last batch that I brewed I took a porter and stout recipe brewed them together. Didn't have time to brew 2 batches that day. I dry hopped 1 carboy just to see how much of a different taste it would make. It's your beer. I've been making hop tea and adding it to different beers as I drink them to see how it changes the flavor. I say go for it if it's what you want. You can't go wrong.:)

Back