What type of brew would this be considered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-jarks22

Reaction score
Here's the basic recipe

Partial mash
34.76 IBU
Abv 2.75

image-1203202696.jpg

Wyeast witbread

7 days primary
28 days secondary
31 days keg

I'm no expert (at all) but I would say the author of that recipe should use recipes from people with more experience for a while until he gets the hang of it. That's that what I'm doing and it's working out great. Still LOTS of room for creativity when using other proven recipes.

Wit yeast but no wheat malt? What characteristics are you going for here? Belgian pale and American pale also? Why not one or the other? This almost looks like an "I want to use up my leftover ingredients" type of recipe. If so, then brew it up and see what happens. If not, then tell us the intended goal for the brew, and we may be able to offer a few pointers.

MetalMatt said:
Specialty beer category? I assume this is a 2.5gal recipe?

It's actually a 5 gallon. Definitely specialty, wondering what it would be closest to.

DrummerBoySeth said:
Wit yeast but no wheat malt? What characteristics are you going for here? Belgian pale and American pale also? Why not one or the other? This almost looks like an "I want to use up my leftover ingredients" type of recipe. If so, then brew it up and see what happens. If not, then tell us the intended goal for the brew, and we may be able to offer a few pointers.

It is a clean out the closet recipe, and I do have a bunch of small grain amounts around so I figured I would try this one out.

It could be a too-sweet American amber. That'd be the closest. Ambers can have up to 15% or so crystal malt. That recipe exceeds it by quite a bit, but I'd say it's the closest thing.

So, I'd call it "American amber with English yeast and hops" or something like that.

Yooper said:
It could be a too-sweet American amber. That'd be the closest. Ambers can have up to 15% or so crystal malt. That recipe exceeds it by quite a bit, but I'd say it's the closest thing.

So, I'd call it "American amber with English yeast and hops" or something like that.

Sounds good to me! Just need something to tell people:)

I'm no expert (at all) but I would say the author of that recipe should use recipes from people with more experience for a while until he gets the hang of it. That's that what I'm doing and it's working out great. Still LOTS of room for creativity when using other proven recipes.

You may be no expert, but I'd say you're definitely onto something here. :mug:

OP, I mean no offense by this but your recipe looks like a sticky mess. With the amber extract, which has a good amount of caramel/crystal malt in it, there's no need for ~30% caramel malt in the mash. In fact, 15-20% is about the max you ever want to go with caramel type malts. I'd take out at least a pound of the caramel malts, and simplify the base malt. Go American OR Belgian, not both. Your hops are confusing too, not sure what the point of the fuggles would be in that recipe, the 'c' hops will surely drown them out. And lastly, why secondary that beer at all, much less after only a week in primary? Go 2 weeks primary then onto keg, no need to transfer in between with a beer like that.

Personally, I think you should follow the advice of iambeer, and stick with proven recipes until you have a better grasp of what ingredients do what in beer. It really seems like you're just trying to use up all your leftovers, but not understanding what those ingredients will impart in your brew. If you want to use up some of your stock, I'm sure if you looked through the recipe forums here, you could find a recipe that uses some of your leftovers.

Yea I may have gotten ahead of myself while trying to find a use for all the leftover grains. I guess it will be an experiment. It's fermentation went quick and dropped off quick. OG was at 1.030 and 3 days later is at 1.010. One point off from the final. So I think I will rack it into a secondary in a couple days. My kegs are unavailable for some time. Has a great deep rich nutty chocolate smell that's gets cut by the hop spice

That isn't a "wit" yeast, recipe said "witbread" as in the makes of Witbread Pale Ale, Mackeson Stout, etc.

OP, I get the "clean the pantry" idea... the malt would have actually been an interesting Mild... but with those hops, not so much.... not sure what you would call it... of course, that only matters if you want to enter it in a competition, otherwise; it's your beer, call it what you like!

Back