Beer and Cheese...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchtime

Reaction score
Anybody have any favorite cheeses they like while drinking? Any specific combinations?

Right now I'm enjoying some Gorgonzola with my DIPA...It's an alright combination I suppose, not the best ever.

I don't but I've threaten to take up making cheese to go along with my home brewing. SWMBO says no to cheese. Says brewing stinks enough as it is.

Extra Sharp cheddar on a good cracker of choice with mustard on it. No comments until you've tried it please.

Blue Star, an upscale-ish joint in Colorado Springs, used to serve a beer/cheese sampling plate. It was 4 or 5 cheeses, each paired with a 4 oz sample of craft beer. The best by far was a very potent bleu cheese served in a pool of honey, paired with a bold, dry IPA. As I recall, there was a farmhouse cheddar served with an English pale and a mild, creamy cheese paired with a sweet stout. Unfortunately, the last time I was there, the sampler was unavailable.

Extra Sharp cheddar on a good cracker of choice with mustard on it. No comments until you've tried it please.

Sounds good! Who wouldn't like that?

I really like Dubliner (it's a hard Irish cheddar) on crackers to go with brew...

BTW befus, I like your avitar...reminds me of this old classic:

bestview.gif

I love extra sharp cheddar. There is a meat market in my town that also sells an habanero cheese which is awesome if you love heat. It pairs wells with hoppy or lighter beers.

I can't say no to a smoked Swiss or smoked Gouda either.

Ok, I'll probably eat any kind of cheese except velveeta or American cheese. That's the cheese equivalent of Miller Lite.

[QUOT
[/QUOTE]

I love smoked cheese and smoked gouda in particular

Last weekend, I smoked a couple blocks of american cheddar.
Had a hard time getting it lit, lol.

Grinnan5150 said:
I love extra sharp cheddar. There is a meat market in my town that also sells an habanero cheese which is awesome if you love heat. It pairs wells with hoppy or lighter beers.

Ok, I'll probably eat any kind of cheese except velveeta or American cheese. That's the cheese equivalent of Miller Lite.

I make my homemade mac & cheese with sharp cheddar and habanero cheddar. It's awesome, and great with an IPA

I like the Amish cheeses,smoked,yogurt,& otherwise from Heini's in Berlin,OH. About a 150M round trip for us. But their smoked cheeses are to die for! I love the smoked New York extra sharp,& the smoked bermuda onion with IPA or pale ale.

My wife and I got to attend a beer and cheese pairing in January at the Viking Cooking School with beers from Utah's Epic Brewing Co. Here's the lineup of the pairings they did and these might give you some ideas. Please pardon any misspellings especially on the cheese names.

1. Pfeifferhorn Lager - Kerrygold Dubliner Cheddar
  2. Hop Syndrome Lager - Larks Meadow Dulcinea
  3. Straight Up Saison - Stilton
  4. Brainless on Cherries - Testun al Barolo
  5. Imperial Red Ale - Cour di Noce Vaccino
  6. Smoked Porter - Tomme de Bordeaux

I'm a huge fan of blue cheese so the Saison/Stilton was my favorite. I also loved smoked beers but didn't care much for the last cheese, so it was my least favorite pairing.

The fact that you would even assume a person wouldn't like this is shocking :p

I love this combo. That deli mustard where they leave the small mustard seeds is good. A good slice of smoked sausage on it is also nice. If I can't be bothered to cut any cheese, I'll just have Cheez-Its.

There is a fantastic gouda called euphoria that goes pretty well with a brown.

I also like Red Dragon. It's a cheddar with Mustard Seeds and a Welsh Brown Ale that is awesome on a burger with a nice APA. Obviously the cheese by itself will most likely go with a brown but on a burger, it sure is great with an APA.

I also like Red Dragon. It's a cheddar with Mustard Seeds and a Welsh Brown Ale that is awesome on a burger with a nice APA. Obviously the cheese by itself will most likely go with a brown but on a burger, it sure is great with an APA.

I bought some of the cheese, and it arrived today. It is awesome! I can't taste the beer in it, but is delicious with just the cheese and mustard seed flavors. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive. Anyway, thanks for the heads up! :mug:

Anytime! Glad you liked it. What was the cost? I can get it locally and if its cheaper, maybe we could hook up a swap and I'll throw some in.

Steve

I bought it at igourmet for $9.99 for an 8oz. wedge and the shipping was steep. I bought more than just that cheese though. They did a damn good job of packaging it...there was a cardboard box, with a styrofoam "cooler" thing, with two large ice packs, and bubble wrap (for cheese :drunk:), and the cheese wedges were sliced and vacuum sealed individually. They also only had fast shipping methods for perishables...I ended up getting it after only 1 day of shipping which was awesome. I've received beer bottles with less care taken...

That's a hell of an endoursemnet :rockin: I'd order from them.

I'll check this weekend on the price. I want to say it's cheaper but I'll PM you if we get to go. The band I am in is playing San Fran and Santa Cruz this weekend so it might be a bit before I get back there.

I can vacuum seal it and use an ice pack as well. VA would take 4-5 days I think. Overnighting something is expensive :D

Teromous - if you are in or accessible to NoVA, there are a bunch of cheese shops that probably either carry it or can order it (Cheesetique and Arrowine are my faves)

I bought it at igourmet for $9.99 for an 8oz. wedge and the shipping was steep. I bought more than just that cheese though. They did a damn good job of packaging it...there was a cardboard box, with a styrofoam "cooler" thing, with two large ice packs, and bubble wrap (for cheese :drunk:), and the cheese wedges were sliced and vacuum sealed individually. They also only had fast shipping methods for perishables...I ended up getting it after only 1 day of shipping which was awesome. I've received beer bottles with less care taken...

It's 26.99 a lb so after shipping its prob the same. If you're down for a homebrew swap pm me.

Back