Dry hop suggestions for Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Made an Amber Ale the other day and now I'm not sure what to dry hop it with. Very easy recipe: 1 lb Crystal 20 steeping grains, 6.5 lbs amber DME (1.055 OG), 1.2 oz Centennial at 60 and another 1.0 oz at 5 minutes. It will be rather hoppy, not quite IPA-level but definitely hoppy. This recipe is very similar to one I made 6 months ago with LME and all Cascade, which turned out fantastic. My problem is that I'm not sure what to dry hop it with. My total hop inventory includes whole leaf Centennial and Simcoe, and also pellet Cascade, Citra, Zythos Blend, and Sorachi Ace. My initial thought was to use Centennial like I did in the boil (plus those leaf hops will be easier to use because they float in my keg), but now I'm wondering if I should use Cascade or something else. Does anything in that list stand out as either really good or bad in my recipe?

I did an amber kit from NB. And dry hopped it with cascade and it was good. I think I did .5oz. I think id cut it back a bit next time

Any of those hops would be good! I'd probably go with centennial or cascade, just because they are in the boil and would meld nicely with the flavors. But you can't go wrong with any of them.

I made an amber 3 weeks ago with Galena for bittering, and a late addition of Amarillo. I'm going to dry hop with Amarillo. I think Zythos is somewhat similar to Amarillo, I'd go with that.

I really like Centennial as a drop hop. Did an all centennial amber with a dry hop and it turned out great.

Back