Food Grade Check?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
The pails look good, but I's stay away from the tear-strip lids. I've found that once the strips are gone the lids are absolutely worthless. Also, see if you can find a lid that has the reinforcing ribs on the outside. Ribs on the inside and they are a bvtch to clean.

Those look similar to the buckets and lids I got from emergency essentials. Might want to check them out as you can usually find codes for free shipping on retailmenot dot com which will probably make it around the same price. 6 gal might be pushing it for fermenting, so hopefully you have them set up for a large blowoff. Mine are 6.5 gallons and occasionally have a rough ferment. I've never had an issue with those tearoff lids with gaskets in them. Actually I like them much better then the standard Ale Pail lids. EAsier to get on and off and a better seal.

my only suggestion would be to pick up a few of these lids instead. They seem more convienient (although much more expensive) but it explicitly garuntees airtight seals in the ad.

http://beprepared.comg /product.asp_Q_pn_E_MS L700_A_name_E_GAMMA SEAL™ Lid - White

Other than that I am intested in picking a few up to store bulk grains/extracts!

I got one of these lids for fermenting but chose to only use it on my star san bucket. There is a very big lip on the outer ring (which is pretty much permenant) on the inside of the fermenter which can easy trap gunk and krausen . Its near impossible to get this portion of the lid off to clean underneath. The regular lids from this site have a gasket in making them airtight (never had an issue). They are also very easy to get off.

I got one of these lids for fermenting but chose to only use it on my star san bucket. There is a very big lip on the inside of the fermenter which can easy trap gunk and krausen. Its near impossible to get this portion of the lid off to clean underneath. The regular lids from this site have a gasket in making them airtight (never had an issue). They are also very easy to get off.

Thanks for the experience based input. In addition to the OP, I am also interested in getting some of these. Would you reccomend the lid I posted to store DME?

It would be fine to store DME, but in my opinion unnecessary. As a newbie, I bought it trying to get the best possible, then found out cheaper was better. I use home depot buckets for bulk DME. Fits exactly 25 lbs in each bucket. Homedepot lids have a gasket too. I'm in Virginia also and even with this humidity I haven't gotten a hard layer on top of my DME all summer.

If only Homer buckets were 7 gallons, I would use them for fermenting too.

It would be fine to store DME, but in my opinion unnecessary. As a newbie, I bought it trying to get the best possible, then found out cheaper was better. I use home depot buckets for bulk DME. Fits exactly 25 lbs in each bucket. Homedepot lids have a gasket too. I'm in Virginia also and even with this humidity I haven't gotten a hard layer on top of my DME all summer.

If only Homer buckets were 7 gallons, I would use them for fermenting too.

Thanks for the tip, next paycheck I am thinking about ordering 50 # DME and you are the second person to tell me each bucket fits 25# exactly.

Sorry for the thread jack OP...I hope some of it was useful!

arturo7-
The flat lids look not to be tear-strip (not even sure that what means?)...
I don't see any mention of that.

mosquitocontrol-
How bad can that lip be, can you show a picture maybe? I can't imagine it being enough to be a hassle to scrub out with some regular fermentor cleaning? I could be wrong- not the first time...

Germelli1-
The Gamma Seal lids are pretty hardcore, but they break the budget for the project... I think the flat top lids should do the trick... I hope. I'd pick up a few of those maybe for long-term storage of other goods though, once I use these for my next uber-brew session.

arturo7-
The flat lids look not to be tear-strip (not even sure that what means?)...
I don't see any mention of that.

mosquitocontrol-
How bad can that lip be, can you show a picture maybe? I can't imagine it being enough to be a hassle to scrub out with some regular fermentor cleaning? I could be wrong- not the first time...

Germelli1-
The Gamma Seal lids are pretty hardcore, but they break the budget for the project... I think the flat top lids should do the trick... I hope. I'd pick up a few of those maybe for long-term storage of other goods though, once I use these for my next uber-brew session.

The lid pretty much consists of an outer ring which is permanently (since its near impossible to take off) attached to the bucket and an inner lid, (with gasket) which screws on to this ring. The outer ring is a good 2" high which is an inch or so you can't really clean easily. Besides you don't really want to be shoving some kind of scrubber in the little space that is available.

hmmm, looking to get a bit more from my 5 gal mash tun.... an extra gallon = an extra 2lbsish of grain to current set up.... for 5.99... as long as it's food grade. baby steps to 10 gallon!

sent email to company to see if they have bigger sizes 6-10 gal food grade with lids for mashing.

mosquitocontrol-

I didn't realize you were talking about that hardcore-esque "Gamma" lid. That thing looks way complicated for a lid, and I'll agree a PITA to clean.

The standard, flat top lid however, looks to be just fine... and shouldn't cause any issues I'd think?

Back