What flavor should I make for a group.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndlady

Reaction score
I want to make a batch that I can ;) (hopefully) take to a wedding this summer. I have so far made one batch that I scorched, :( . A batch of red bull wheat, that was ok, but I was looking for more of a wiezen flavor from my days in Germany. The batch I now have brewing is AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen, not quite a week old, I hope to move it to the secondary by Thursday. I hope by then that I will get by red dog batch that I have ordered, with my second bucket.

So back to the question, we are going to a family wedding this summer and I thought it would be fun to bring some homebrew, maybe even make a label about the wedding. So I was wondering what brew is liked by more people? I have to stay with ale's because I don't believe I can keep a lager cold enough.

I would say a Cream or Amber ale. They both seem to be ok with everyone, even none beer drinkers. My sister-in-law liked my amber ale because "it tastes like beer but does not have the beer after taste". She is not a beer drinker but did have a couple of bottles. :)

Like the Liberty Cream Ale.
It is a flavor I have been thinking about, after I see how well I like the Black Dog I have coming.

Track down Ed Wort (he is a moderator here) and look at his recipes. Either the Apfelwein or the Pale Haus would probably appeal to most everyone. Over 4000 gallons of the Apfelwein has been made this year which gives a good indication of it's popularity.

I would keep it something light as to not scare the BMC drinkers that are most likely the majority of guests at the wedding.

You've got winners suggested so far- cream, amber, pale. Any of those would be great choices. I humbly add English bitter to the list- my step-father-in-law is not a beer drinker at all, but he really likes my Ordinary Bitter (which is from Northern Brewer's kit). I like it a lot, too- nice and balanced, flavorful, drinkable, and not expensive to brew.

Oh, by the way, welcome! I don't think there's a better place to get brewing advice and ideas. My beer is a lot better than it would be if I didn't read these forums.

Nurmey said:
Either the Apfelwein or the Pale Haus would probably appeal to most everyone.

Is the Apfelwein a wine if you don't carbonate? I haven't even done any reall reading on making a mash so I am lost with the first part of his ale recipe. :confused:

Thanks for the welcome. So far I am enjoying it, started cause I don't care for the flavor of regular beer and a coworker said I should try this. :) Guess it isn't going to bad as the folks and I wiped out all but a few bottles of my wheat over Christmas. :tank:

What about a wheat or blonde ale, those are traditional summer beers anyway. With a wheat you could maybe add a little fruit to it or split t and add fruit t part of it to if you wanted.

ndlady said:
Is the Apfelwein a wine if you don't carbonate? I haven't even done any reall reading on making a mash so I am lost with the first part of his ale recipe. :confused:

Nope- you can definitely carbonate it and there's no mash or anything required. Check out the recipe thread for it here. At present, 4029 gallons of the stuff have been made by board members. I plan to do some soon myself, though it's supposedly an acquired taste and as such may not be the best for a big gathering.

I found the recipe and just got confused as to if it was a wine because of the wine yeast and the fact that carbonation was by option. newbe here. I will try it but since he said it takes a few glasses to get used to will probably not take it to the wedding.

Back