Liquid in gas line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendragon

Reaction score
Is it unusual to have liquid in the gas line? I would think so. I have the regulator connected to a 20oz paintball bottle that was filled at academy sports. I set it at 10-12 psi and opened the out valve on the regulator. The keg is filled with 5 gallons of water/PBW. As soon as I turned it on I head a hissing sound and liquid in the gas line and dripping down the side of the keg.

Seems to be bubbling and dripping from the edges of the lid on the top and the gas post. Might this be caused by the pressure being to low to properly seal the lid? The Oring doesn't appear damaged but I have a replacement set for all the Orings. I just need to find a wrench big enough to unscrew the posts.

i would guess your leaking because there is a poor seal. The lid needs around 25-30 psi to seal properly....crank up the regulator as high as you can go if you cant reach that point and hope for the best. Keg lube works wonders also...They can be a bit touchy. Leakage from the post is a different problem. Get a wrench and disassemble them and check the poppit valve as well as making sure its tightened down and threaded properly. Look on youtube for a video of dissasembly if you have issues

I replaced the lid and post o-rings and its not leaking around the post any longer and I don't see any liquid in the gas line now. Although when I apply pressure to the keg it squirts a small amount of the contents out around the edges of the lid for a second. It doesn't seem to leak around the lid any further after that. Probably something that some keg lube would help seal better. The only leak now, that I can hear at least, is coming from the gas line where the tubing is secured to the disconnect by an oetiker clamp. The hose feels loose and twists around on the barb. I'm going to remove the oetiker and replace it with a hose clamp I can tighten down further and see if that fixes the problem there.

Any idea what size wrench the corney uses for the posts? The largest wrench I have is 3/4th and its still a fraction too small to fit around the nut.

There are several different sizes for cornie posts, but the larger ones tend to be 7/8" With that and 11/16ths, you'll be set for most of them.

Back