Oatmeal Stout w/ White labs Irish ale yeast and toasted Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven11356

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding an extra 1/3 Cups of slow toasted rolled oats to my oatmeal stout. Has anyone ever done this kind of tweaking before and what was the results?

I always toast the oats going into any oatmeal stout I make. It adds a small amount of flavor to the beer that un-toasted oats don't have. 350F for 30 min in the oven works for me. I also toast pale malt to make amber and brown malt and have found that oats take slightly longer to get a toasted 'cookie' flavor. Use your own taste and smell as judge while toasting.

That's all you on the cocoa powder. I have never been a fan of cocoa/chocolate beers, I have never tried it so I have no helpful comments on it.

When toasting grains, I leave them in a brown paper bag for at least one week, to mellow a bit.

I've found that this doesn't really apply to oats. They are ready to use immediately. I would guess this is because oats don't have husks like barley does.

Cocoa is nice in stouts. IMO it is a bit to warm for a good chocolate stout but aging never hurts. I will say if you want to use it, source cocoa nibs instead. Cocoa powder is a PITA and really just makes a giant mess...YMMV.

Back