Stuck Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beano

Reaction score
Hello there,
I am still new to home brewing and kegging, but I just made a celebration clone, and I didn't use any hop bags for my pellets. I will from now on, because I transfered the brew to my corny keg, purged and pressurized, and after a few dayS, when I try to dispense I only got a few drops of brew. What can I do to fix this?!?!HELP!!:confused::eek:

Ouch.

Rack to another keg, and filter out the hops in the process?

If you attach a CO2 line to the liquid post it might blow the hops out of the dip tube, but they will just get sucked back in.

If I were you, I would quietly siphon the beer out of your keg and back into your sanitized bottling bucket or fementer through a grain bag or paint strainer. Then repeat the procedure back into your keg after you clean it out and sanitize it again. Meanwhile, remove the liquid dip tube and either clear it with CO2, water or buy a pipe cleaner thing and snake out the blockage like a plumber. They sell those at most LHBS for cheap.

I dry hopped my last batch before kegging and was worreid about this happening. I siphoned it into the keg through a paint strainer bag and it removed a surprising amount of sediment and hop particles. After seeing how much was filtered out, I'll never keg w/o doing this ever.

so having it already carbonated is okay? just release the pressure and transfer to another corny while filtering?

Oh, I didn't think about the carbination. I would bleed it until it's completely flat first over the course of a couple days, otherwise it's going to foam up and possibly overflow from the vessel you're siphoning into. Filtering the beer through a grain bag or paint strainer can be done quietly but will probably cause enough agitation to make the beer foam up if it's still carbinated.

I had the same problem. I depressurized the keg, and racked it into a carboy (don't recall any issues with foaming). Then I used the CO2 to clear out the pickup tube (my wife's idea at the time), cleaned the carboy, and racked the beer back in.

I had the same problem. I went about it a different way...
Gently laid the keg on its side (with the Gas In on the botttom)
Let it sit for a day
Hooked up the CO2 to the Beer Out
Hooked up a transfer line to the Gas In poppit
Transfered to another keg and left the hops in the first keg.

Here's another approach. Hook up your CO2 to the out post and hit it with 25 PSI. That should clear any clogs. Then disconnect the CO2 and bleed off all pressure. Take off the out post and pull the dip tube out. Then use a pipe cutter to trim off the about 3/4" off the dip tube bottom.

People do this all the time that hate to seconday, and it only leaves about a pint or two in the bottom. Then you won't risk oxidation (as badly).

Just sanitize your wrench, sockets, etc........

I had that happen to me last summer - what I did was release the pressure, take off my out post, attach a tube to where it goes, and turned the gas on low to blow all the hops out. Reattached the post and no more problems.

Latest posts

Back