Could I turn my vertical freezer into a horizontal fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have hesitated to ask this question for some time, but... I have a large (newer) upright freezer that the SWMBO has donated to my beer project. Do you think it is possible to convert it...or not worth the trouble?

I was thinking I would turn the compressor 90 degrees...and the plumbing too...and be able to open the door from the top.

On the other hand, maybe I should just leave it upright...and get shorter kegs...hmmm.

Why not just take the shelving out and use it upright? If it's the kind that has the coolant lines in the shelves, you can bend them up or to the back wall (just be gentle). I just did this with my upright to turn it into a keezer. Seems like alot of work to re-orient the compressor and lines... If that was my only option, I'd start searching for a chest freezer.

I think the answer to 'can it be done' is maybe. A refrigerant system depends on the flow of gases and liquids at various points. Both the refrigerant and the oil contained within the system.

You would absolutely have to turn the compressor 90 degrees, but if you end up bending the refrigerant lines you could possibly cause pools of liquid refrigerant and oil that might hamper operation. The fluid velocity in the lines might be sufficient to blow the refrigerant and oil through with no problems, or it might not. Likewise, larger systems have liquid accumulators that depend on physical orientation to protect the compressor from liquid slugging. A residential freezer might not have those, but it might. So the best answer one could give without knowing more is maybe.

But I haven't had any problems yet
does that mean you are currently running it with the compressor sideways? let us know how that works out ...

does that mean you are currently running it with the compressor sideways? let us know how that works out ...

Original Reply is a better term. I'm not the OP. I commented that I have an upright freezer that had the coolant lines in the shelves. I bent the shelves against the back wall, and everything currently seems to be working fine.

would it even be deep enough to put the kegs in on its side? let alone all the other technical stuff?

I do refrigeration for a living. This would work but...And the but is that when you go to try and rotate that compressor so that it is running upright there is a 99% chance that you will kink the copper tubing connected to it. This will cause a restriction when it kinks. Nothing else in the fridge would be effected except for the drain for the evaporator coil so water would accumulate in the bottom of it you would have to clean out every now and then. You would also most likely have to elevate it off the floor so as not to block airflow from the condensing coil which on most freezers and fridges is in the back. I'm with Tinga too would it even be deep enough to use as a fermenter?

Back