boil some DME or steep some Crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I posted this in my "I hate all grain" thread and it got lost in my sea of questions so I'm going to make it it's own thread for convenience and search purposes.

I want to boil another gallon and throw in some DME but then I thought, don't I have over a pound of crushed crystal in the freezer? It's been in a ziploc bag in the freezer for about 4 months. So my questions are is it still good and can I steep this instead of going out and buying DME? If so, should I steep for 30 min or just 10?

The crystal's not going to give you any fermentables, you'll add OG but your FG will also end up higher. What are you trying to accomplish? If you're just trying to rectify poor efficiency and a low OG, the solution is the DME.

the_bird said:
The crystal's not going to give you any fermentables, you'll add OG but your FG will also end up higher. What are you trying to accomplish? If you're just trying to rectify poor efficiency and a low OG, the solution is the DME.

I second the post-whore, with a little whoring of my own.

:cross:

Doh! I'm an idiot. I'm not too concerned about efficiency since I know I screwed it up big time. I was more concerned with the 4 1/2 gallons currently in the primary and I didn't just want to top it off with water. thanks!

Leave well enough alone. The beer will be fine, and a little extra headspace in the carboy will not matter.

I've fermented 3 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy before...no worse for the ware (wear?)

Dude said:
Leave well enough alone. The beer will be fine, and a little extra headspace in the carboy will not matter.

I've fermented 3 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy before...no worse for the ware (wear?)

head space wasn't my concern, I'm more concerned about yield after transferring it a couple times.

Well look at it this way.
If your happy with the quality of the beer then live with the quantity, messing with it make know it off balance.
If you're more concerned about the quantity just top up with a hopped LME to the strength and quantity required.

Back