Priming with DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy

Reaction score
Recipe I'm using from the Clone Beer book, calls for priming with 1.25 cups of Extra Light DME.

Problem is, I've never tried this. I assume I'd want to dissolve it in boiling water first, but the book says zip,zero,nada on the subject.

Beer is five gallons of Pilsner Urquel Clone btw.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hoppy

Yes, you will want the DME to mix thoroughly so dissolving it in some boiling water, then cooling before incorporating it would be a good idea. You can use a bunch of different fermentables to prime. If you would rather just use corn sugar, you can do that too.

brewt00l said:
Yes, you will want the DME to mix thoroughly so dissolving it in some boiling water, then cooling before incorporating it would be a good idea. You can use a bunch of different fermentables to prime. If you would rather just use corn sugar, you can do that too.

Cool, thanks.

Any idea which would produce more carbonation/faster/better?

Hoppy

Alright then. I'm going with the dextrose.

I'm bottling in about five minutes, I'll sort out "better" next time. :D

Hoppy

brewt00l said:
I've never cooled it before adding it to the bottling bucket. I use DME because it makes me feel better.;) I don't know if you'd ever really notice the difference.

Latest posts

Back