Wyeast prob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
any one have a problem with wyeast not propagating ? I had 2 smack packs that wouldnt swell. The third I left in the warm car and it swelled after 15 minutes. I have never started a starter culture and have had very good luck. This time I itched it anyway and no growth. I am doing a lager, and other lagers worked very well this way. The third time (the pack that swelled) I pitched to a starter and not much growth after 24 hours, it is sitting at room temp 65 degrees. I will give it a few more days before I pitch it.

Joe

I had an american wheat smck pack that never swelled and then took about 72 hours to start. I did not use a starter. Yeast did a good job though.

I've had plenty that took their time to swell (up to a week or so), but they always worked fine after making a well oxygenated starter. I also had one that was dead. (It showed no sign of swelling after three weeks), and the LHBS provided a free replacement which worked fine.

-a.

Back