tricks on drilling 7/8ths hole for keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Nothing just ever goes smooth for me. Having a hellovatime drilling the 7/8ths hole for my weldless spigot. I got the small hole drilled but when the metal hole bit hits the keg, it goes where ever the hell it wants to. Not a clean cut. Seems I get better results to just keep drilling small holes with in the cut out area and then just pop it out. I also noticed that there is a lot of shinny areas where the hole saw jumped around at. When I eventually get the hole cut out, would Bar Keepers Friend help put the repassive (sp???) coat back on the exposed area???

Hmm. I haven't had that problem. I just kept the drill slow and applied lots of pressure. Cut through really fast, but not entirely clean. I still had to clean up the hole. How fast is your bit turning when it tries to jump around?

I f you are using a hole saw you should try a step-up bit like this. just drill a pilot hole first and then use this to step up to the desired size.

Ol' Grog said:
Nothing just ever goes smooth for me. Having a hellovatime drilling the 7/8ths hole for my weldless spigot. I got the small hole drilled but when the metal hole bit hits the keg, it goes where ever the hell it wants to. Not a clean cut. Seems I get better results to just keep drilling small holes with in the cut out area and then just pop it out. I also noticed that there is a lot of shinny areas where the hole saw jumped around at. When I eventually get the hole cut out, would Bar Keepers Friend help put the repassive (sp???) coat back on the exposed area???

Stupid question, but you're using a pilot bit, right? You should start by drilling a small hole just big enough to be a pilot for your pilot bit, and one the pilot bit cuts through, then slowly work the saw.

If you're using a hole saw, you have to use the pilot bit; but if you've already made a hole larger in diameter than the pilot bit, you're likely to have a problem. In this case, a step bit like the one recommended by wop31 is the way to go. The other thing is to make sure that the hole saw is designed to cut metal; not all hole saws are for use with metal.

I run it pretty fast with heavy pressure but you have to maintain control if you don't it's easy to go to far then you're screwed. I would go a little slower if you are not used to using them. you could always just buy one that only goes up to the size you need then you don't have to worry about making the hole too big.

Cheers

Stupid of me...yeah, no pilot bit on this. I had thought that I could get away with using a metal hole bit without a pilot, but boy, what I dufus I was. Plus, it was a lot cheaper and I'm pretty tight.

CollinsBrew said:
When using a step-up bit do you still drill slow with heavy pressure or do you need to run the drill a bit faster?
I recommend running it rather slowly, just like the hole saw. At first you can run it a little faster (the radial/cutting speed of the bit is pretty slow when the hole is small).

Lil' Sparky said:
You might be able to find one much cheaper at Harbor Freight if you've got one.

Yeah, the local HF circular around here had a 3 pack of step bits on sale for like $12 last week.

No HF here. What I did last night was take my biggest metal bit, 1/2 inch, drill the hole right in the middle and the start "wallowing" it out. It's getting closer, but still a ways to go and SWMBO says it's "too loud."

Grog, I already feel bad for that poor keggle. You're going to destroy it, your drill, and your bits. At least tell me you're using some cutting oil or 3-in-1 while you bore. It's only a couple of bucks for a hole saw with a pilot bit. We'll take up a collection for you if need be!

One question: You mentioned that you drilled a pilot hole, but then you tried to cut a hole around there. Just what did you think the pilot hole was for?

Come on dude!!! I know that much. The problem was I piece mealed it together and when it got to the hole saw part, it pretty much fell apart. So, I'm stuck with this pilot hole and no way to cut it with the hole saw at that point. I then got my biggest titanium bit and made the pilot hole bigger. I used that bit for "wallowing." I'm going to stop at Lowes here in a minute on my way home and see if I can get a step bit as mentioned above. I think between the drilling and using a dremel with the sanding stone, I could probably make it work. However, I know there is room for error. Luckily I not carpooling today and the wife is home with the 3 year old and I don't have to hurry.

Latest posts

Back