Good substitutions for Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
Simcoe seams to be hard to get these days. What are some good substitutions for Simcoe and/or what are some good sources for purchasing Simcoe?

Good substitutions? Cat pee (ducks). Nah, seriously Simcoe isn't going to have a direct replacement but when I want to do a recipe with it and don't have any on hand, I sub Amarillo. Definitely different, but I've never run into a case where one makes a good beer and the other a bad beer.

Ah, just noticed the vendor ads for hops blow out. Looks like they have simcoe for 1.25/oz I think my problem is solved! That place is great!

I bought a pound of simcoe hops from Nikobrew, for $20, I believe. There really isn't any direct substitution that I know of.

Looks like the price went up! Their site shows 29.00 per lb. But shipping is super cheap at 5.00 so it may still work

Oh, he had a big sale a couple of weeks ago. I bought a pound, since I use it in my favorite IPA.

Yeah, I want to do a pliny and a green flash west coast IPA clone. MUST HAVE SIMCOE! I think I'll get a lb from the steelers77 guy. 1.25/oz is a good price.

Just got a half pound from Steelers77 at $1.25 an ounce. Shipped from WI to NY in 2 days via USPS. Going to make Yooper's DFH60 clone tonight!

I think he's offering a "pliny pack" as well, so ask about that if you're interested.

Back