Kegging costs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
What would I need to start kegging in like 5 gallon corny kegs? What is the average cost for all the equipment?

$200 is often cited as a good figure for getting started. Used kegs cost around $30 each, though you can usually find them a bit cheaper. A regulator will cost $30-$50. Budget another $30 or so for some line, fittings, and a picnic tap. The tank will likely be the most expensive part. Source one locally at a welding shop.

Of course...you need a fridge, too!

The keg - roughly 25$
regulator- 45$
CO2 tank- between 30 and 70$, it depends where you can find it
Disconnects, hoses and clamps- 15-20$
fridge/freezer- depends what you wanna spend, size, space available, style... Craigslist is a good place to look for these.
Faucet- picnic tap- 5$ -OR- faucet shanks tailpeice - 30$

These are just estimated costs. some things can be found cheaper, craigslist has great deals sometime or you might have some of the equipment on hand. Hope this helps -CD

GRRRRRRRRR..........I wish I was working......Wonders if harbor freight has ridiculous deals on any of this stuff.

GRRRRRRRRR..........I wish I was working......Wonders if harbor freight has ridiculous deals on any of this stuff.

you might find a regulator, but the pressure gauge will be way too high. You'd spend another $10-15 to get a low pressure gauge.

yer better off getting a beverage grade regulator to begin with.

I spent roughly $200 for the kegs, lines, tank and regulator. Figure another $200 minimum for a fridge and temp control (if needed) for a kegerator or keezer.

I got lucky and scored a 14 cu ft freezer for $160, so with a temp controller added in it only cost $200 total.

Add more if you're going for a 'pro' setup that looks good and has towers, etc. Plumbing it can be tricky depending on the fridge or freezer you're using.

Keep looking on Craigslist. I found a nice small kegerator with a CO2 tank and everything for $150. All I had to do was switch the keg connections from sankey to cornelius.

It's not big, holds two kegs, but it's fine for me.

I'm pondering this question as well. A couple questions I'm wondering, even though I think I know the answers.
1. If I am not sure if I want to keg, is it best to get a "regular" kit with picnic taps vs getting a shank to drill through the fridge?
2. Is it much less coss effective to buy a single keg setup for question 1 if assuming it works well, I figure I'll want to run two?
3. Does anyone really understand the difference between the "regular" and "premium" kits like what are listed on kegconnection.com ?
4. Does beer stay as fresh with a picnic tap as with shanks?

I'm pondering this question as well. A couple questions I'm wondering, even though I think I know the answers.
1. If I am not sure if I want to keg, is it best to get a "regular" kit with picnic taps vs getting a shank to drill through the fridge?
2. Is it much less coss effective to buy a single keg setup for question 1 if assuming it works well, I figure I'll want to run two?
3. Does anyone really understand the difference between the "regular" and "premium" kits like what are listed on kegconnection.com ?
4. Does beer stay as fresh with a picnic tap as with shanks?

1) depends on if you mind opening the kegerator or not. Is this form or is this function?
2) It is much easier to simply put on a temp controller and be done with it. But you will not have a nice kegerator with taps if you do.
3) Better regulator? Really since temp changes the primary pressure so dramatically you really do not need a dual gauge.
4) It makes no real difference other then say 3" of less cooled lines. I really doubt you could taste the difference.

Thanks for the quick reply Torg. I plan to use the fridge for bottled beer too, so that's not a big problem. I think the picnic taps will be fine if they don't let the beer go stale. I will likely start with the picnic tap setup, then if i like it, I will get shanks and get fancy.

Latest posts

Back