Fermentation chiller desing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asclepion

Reaction score
Hello all.

I would like to make a fermentation chiller. I do not want to spend too much so I am going into the ice-changing type. Researching on the net I realized there are three main desing about the situation of the ice-aircooling chamber:

Son of fermentation chiller, the ice chamber is on the side of the main chamber.

Mother of fermentation chiller, the ice is below the main chamber.

Modified Modified Son of Fermentation Chiller, the ice chamber is in the top.

I am interested in the best desing about convection issues, and how the air goes in and out the ice chamber. I thought the last one was a great idea, but maybe cool air is allways falling throught the fan whether it is working or not, cooling the carboy too much. The second one is nice, but I think that the inlet and outlet of air should be on the upper zone to cool "hot" air (inlet) and release cooled air (outlet) generating turbulance, just as in the firts desing, but ice-changing is harder than in the other two.

I would be grateful to hear your opinion about which desing is better in this matter.

Finally, I hope you can understand me and forgive my bad english.

Thanks for any help.

Back