non-toxic vs food-grade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
What is the difference? I assume non-toxic means it wont kill you, but it still might not be something you would want your food to touch (Play-Doh, for example).

The way my mashing tun is designed I use 1/8" ID tubing. My LHBS does not carry any, so I have been using the stuff from my local hardware store. It is vinyl tubing and it is non-toxic. Is it ok to use in brewing?

Despite what I write below, I am not a food contact regulation expert, but I do work with them from time to time.

Food grade has a specific meaning in FDA regulations. It means the manufacturer has tested the article or material (in this case an article) against a specific FDA regulation or specification that governs the use of the materials of construction of the article, and the test results meet with the requirements of the spec or reg. The manufacturer has the obligation to do the testing, and does not have to report the results, and the FDA does not do the testing, and usually does not require the manufacturer to submit the test results, but does require them to be kept on file at the manufacturer's facilities. The article or material can then be labeled as "compliant with FDA Indirect Food Contact Regulations" and is considered food grade.

I do not know if "non-toxic" has a specific meaning under any indirect food contact regulations, but I am guessing it doesn't. This might be a manufacturer's way to avoid testing his product, if he has used materials that are food grade, or that are recognized as safe to use in indirect food contact.

Personally, I would not use hose labeled "non-toxic" unless I talked with the maker and was assured it was intended for food or drinking water contact.

A great many vinyl products release chemicals when heated.

Have you checked to make sure your hose is for drinking water?

As far as Non-Toxic I think that means if you eat it that it's not poisionous.

Back