beer kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
are all bmc kegs made from stainless steel. i thought they were made of aluminum? if they are made of stainless then i will be set for my ag setup. the deposits on kegs are cheap here.

Yes most are SS, also since when are keg deposits cheap in ontario, the beer store is something loke a $50, or do you plan on hoping over to the US for a keg?

$50 is cheap,from what I have seen on ebay they sell for more. If michigan is cheaper i would consider maybe, but i can get empty ones here. that is alot cheaper than any stock pot i have seen on the web. if you have any suggestions detroit is only 15 min from my house here in canada

I can see it now at the customs inspection "Do you have anything to declare --- uhh yeah, 2 empty beer kegs" I just came back from LaSalle today and the wouldnt let me bring my 6 pak of Kokanee across. :(
But yes the deposit is like $10 over here, and the ethics are up to you.

I was curious about the kegs too, I use 2 coors light kegs that are a little shorter and fatter then a normal keg. I knew they were a pain to cut open, and i thought they were stainless, but was never really sure. Either way, they work fine as keggles.

djamwolfe said:
But yes the deposit is like $10 over here, and the ethics are up to you.

Yep, depends on your ethics. If you have no problem with theft then you have it made. I just couldn't steal kegs even if they are from Bud...

Ok, lets not get off on the ethical issue of taking a keg after giving a deposit. That was not the question and we all know some people have no prob. with it and some do.

The question reguarding SS or Aluminum i would say this: I thought the same thing, that mine were aluminum because they were so light, but when i stuck a grinder to it and it sparked that told me it was SS. Then i thought, hmm, would aluminum be able to hold that kind of pressure being that thin? Probably not.

If your depostits are 50 bucks thats not bad. I picked up a keg of boulvarde wheat a week or so ago and the deposit was 75 plus a deposit for the tap. not bad, i got the money back the next day when i returned it.

Bud doesn't lose because of a stolen keg.
It's the liquor store/ bar/ beer depot that eats the cost.

These costs can be passed on to the consumer as higher prices or deposits or reduced shelf inventory and selection.

olllllo said:

These costs can be passed on to the consumer as higher prices or deposits or reduced shelf inventory and selection.

That's not entirely true. The liquor store loses the deposit money, while the brewery eats the rest, which is usually a lot more. In the end, though, it is indeed the consumer that foots the bill. But IMHO theft is still theft.

If i was a betting man, which im not, i would be willing to wager that with a deposit of 75 for the keg that we have here locally and another 15 for the tap that if a guy decided to keep it no one is out anything. You can show me all the links to places where you and i can buy kegs and how they are 100 bucks, but let me ask you this:

Do you think the BMCs are paying what we would pay to get that keg? my guess is that they could purchase those for around 50 to 60 if not less. It is like cars and rental companies. they can get a chevy impala for about 6 grand less than the lowest price you or i could ever buy it for. Why? because they buy more of them.

I will remove myself from the soap box now with one last thing:

I think that stealing kegs is wrong as well.

I didnt think it would be theft. I figured that they are covering their costs to replace the keg. Thats how I thought deposits work. I will just email the damn beer company and ask them. I dont want to steal them. I saw the price of the converted kegs and thought I could do it way cheaper because of my job. I can get the ball valves and the other fittings at my companies cost and cutting it open would be a breeze.

olllllo said:

The beer stores here in Ontario are all owned by Molson and LaBatts the two main breweries here

olllllo said:
Distributors Bar Owners and Small Craft Breweery perspectives on cost of stolen kegs. People keeping the deposit is not the biggest reason for losses outright theft is. Gives you a perspective on the economics of it all though.

http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3480

Excellent link. I didn't have time to read it all, but it does shed quite a bit of light on the subject.

All right so if I buy converted kegs on the net am I just buying stolen property? And what about bottles? Alot of people use beer bottles is this also stealing? I personally use old grolsh bottles when I bottle. Most people use the standard brown bottles that come from the big 3 to bottle their beer.

Hell, even breweries steel from each other. It os not uncommon for a brewery to sell you a used keg for say $40 only for you to notice when you brought it home it says boddingtons or heiniken etc. and not a product the make or package.

Back