Project for 2 corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

Reaction score
I have 2 corny kegs that will not hold pressure. Both of them leak from somewhere between the rubber handle and the metal top, but I can't tell for sure where. So anyone have any suggestions on a project to use these for. So far all I have come up with is to keep them full of water for some increased thermal mass to buffer temp changes in my fermentation cabinet, but it's not too exciting. I'm sure someone has a better idea...

flower pots, umbrella holders, spitunes, burner shields, pre-chiller for wort cooling.

not sure about the fermenter use unless you can identify leak area and make sure no bugs are growing in the opening.

maybe you can take off the rubber handles (if possible) and use some of that epoxy/putty that people use to fix holes in gas tanks. then if it wont hold high enough pressure for kegging you can still ferment in it

i had some like that. i just started cutting away at the rubber till i found the leak. i used jb weld to seal it up. worked great

Have you tried feeling from the inside of the keg for the hole? Just a thought. I would use it as a secondary if you can never get it to hold pressure. I love using my corny kegs as secondaries.

I couldn't feel any holes, but possibly found a crack in one of them. There is rust in the areas that are leaking in the crack between the rubber and top. I think I'm going to try cutting the rubber back and see what I can find. Hopefully I can fix it with either some epoxy or possibly weld it.

Mount an electric heater element in it and make a RIMS/HERMS unit...

Back