Bottling Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamstonBrew

Reaction score
I am sure I read up on the questions I have here while perusing the thousands of messages on the Man I love Apfelwein page... but I don't feel like going through that again.

I have a batch that's been in primary for 5 weeks now. I checked the gravity yesterday and it's at 1.000. (FWIW I tasted the sample and man, it's awesome. If it truly gets better with more age it's going to rock... it's drinkable right now!) It's still a bit cloudy, but I can tell it's clearing very very slowly.

I really need to get that carboy freed up. Assuming my FG is in fact 1.000, can I bottle while it's still a tad cloudy? Are there any cons to this? I plan on bottling half of it still and then adding some priming sugar (little over 1/3 of a cup) to the rest to carbonate it to see how I like it.

If I wait until it clears will there be enough yeast still in suspension to carb half of the batch?

Yep, just because its clear doesn't mean all the yeast has fallen out. just means 'enough' has fallen out to be clear.

Back