Few questions regarding yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe the general consensus around here and just about everywhere is to make a starter with a starting gravity of around 1.040. However, according to info on my LHBS website (and a couple other sources as well), they say, "Make the starter to the same gravity as the beer you are intending to brew. This is basic genetic selective breeding. You do not want to make a 1.025 gravity starter, and develop yeast that are most happy in this medium, only to pitch them into a 1.090 beer, which they "genetically" hate." Any thoughts?
If i followed this advice would this mean i would need less then half the amount of finished starter since essentially the sugar content is more then doubled (meaning the yeast concentration is doubled)?
Secondly, as far as yeast nutrients go, would Servomyces be sufficient? I ask because the recipe i am loosely following claims an attenuation of 87% with WLP530, but i am a bit skeptical.
Lastly, i was reading that you should ferment your starter at the same temp you intend to ferment your brew at, however, the recipe i am following says to pitch the yeast at 65F and then raise the fermentation temps to 83F for 4 days then gradually drop the temps to 67F. Any suggestions at around what temp i should ferment my starter?

I don't know where you read your information. Everything I've read says to make your starters using wort at 1.037-1.040... I've never heard otherwise. As far as temp of your starter, it should be the same temp as the wort you're pitching it in to..

No offense, but your LHBS is retarded. Yeast do not feel. They do not hate. They break sugars into usable energy and produce alcohol. It would take thousands and thousands of generations for you to affect the genetic variability of a yeast population - and the odds are very low you would be able to observe it.

For a reference on yeast, check out mr malty.

No offense, but your LHBS is retarded. Yeast do not feel. They do not hate. They break sugars into usable energy and produce alcohol. It would take thousands and thousands of generations for you to affect the genetic variability of a yeast population - and the odds are very low you would be able to observe it.

For a reference on yeast, check out mr malty.

Or YeastCalc.com
Both good..

I concur with what's been said here so far. From everything ive read, and ive done a pretty good bit of reading on yeast lately, keep the starter between 1.035 and 1.040, and make sure that the temps you are pitching at are within 10 degrees. Temp is really only an issue if you cold crash the starter in the fridge, if you do, just let it warm up to room temp before you pitch it.

With respect to temperature; give your yeast a temperature they like to propogate at (70 to 80 degrees). I used to do my big lager starters at the same temp as the lager would be fermented at, but I eventually changed my mind and have had great luck propogating warm, chilling and decanting, and pitching with the slurry temp close to the main batch temp.

As far as where to learn more about starters...look at www.mrmalty.com There is a yeast starter FAQ that tells you everything you need to know. http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

Back