Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acemixed

Reaction score
All,

Sunday morning around 2am I pitched the yeast into my first batch of homebrew. All went incredibly well... Or so I thought.

I realized this morning my ambient temp was slightly high. I have a 6.5 gal carboy which initially started in my spare bedroom; the room temp was 68 degrees. I failed to account for the fact that the fermentation would crank up the temp inside the jug. Hence, that baby was cooking at aroung 74 degrees for a little over 24 hrs.

This morning I moved the operation down to the basement which sits at 60 degrees ambient and should put the carboy at about 65 deg on the inside while the yeast carry on with their mission.

I believe I've corrected the problem by moving the primary to the basement. I transitioned from upstairs to downstairs over the course of a few hours as not to swing the temp too drastically.

What sort of ill side effects can I expect from the initial fermentation taking place at that higher temp (~75 deg) for the first 24hrs?

Thanks,
Matthew

sounds like you did the right thing, man. as far as what to expect from the first 24 hours being warm, there might be some more esters and other compound yeast produce during the early stages, it depends a lot on what strain of yeast you used and how much yeast you pitched, but in your case it shouldn't be too much of an issue. you've got the temp in the right range now, and the best thing you can do is hold those temps and after you reach FG, keep it in the mid to high 60's for a week or two. that'll allow the yeast to do a little cleaning of anything they kicked during the warm ferment.

BTW, welcome to HBT and to the hobby. congrats on your first brew. :mug:

Just watch out that you are not too low now. The wort/beer will take on the floor temperature, not the air temperature. While the yeast are actively fermenting, there should be no problem, but as it slows it will cool down, and could stall before reaching expected FG.

Thanks for the responses! I think I should be ok temp wise. The carboy is sitting on the landing on the way down to the basement. Fermometer is reading 65 deg.

As always I welcome any comments or suggestions!

Back