IIPA/CDA Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roflsaurus

Reaction score
First time coming up with a recipe from scratch like this. i have read the other ipa/iipa recipe threads for inspiration and insight and now looking for some input of my own.

my goal with this recipe is something along the idea of dreadnaught or a double hoppin' frog ipa. i like a strong malt backbone and being able to taste the malt flavors. then for the hop flavors i would like hint at or keep clear of high citrus type hops.

3.5 gallon batch (mash tun too small for 5.5g large beers)
90 minute boil
60 minute mash at 156 (maybe 154, not sure yet)
75% mash efficiency

og 1.086
fg 1.022
ibu 146.5
srm 38.57
abv 8.38

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb vienna
12 oz caramel 40L
8 oz carapil

last 10 mins of mash add 6 oz crisp choc malt, 6 oz of carafa III

.50 oz Warrior @ FWH
.50 oz Northern Brewer @ FWH
.50 oz Warrior @ 60 Min
1.00 oz Willamette @ 25 Min
1.00 oz Northern Brewer @ 20 Min
1.00 oz Chinook @ 20 Min
.50 oz Chinook @ 10 Min
.50 oz Northern Brewer @ 10 Min
1.00 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 Min
.50 oz Willamette @ 5 Min
.50 oz Chinook @ 0 Min
.50 oz Willamette @ 0 Min

1.00 oz Chinook @ Dry Hop 10 days
1.00 oz Willamette @ Dry Hop 10 days

Safale US-05 Yeast

thinking the 154/156 mash with that much ibu would be interesting? not totally sure what to think really. i know i kind of want something over the top in hop flavors/aroma but with enough bitterness to play well with the nice malt semi-forward taste.

Chinook is piney, but also citrusy, just not to the extreme of cascades/centennial/etc... You could add more of your other hops, or sub something else. It depends what direction you want the beer to take.

Brewing a dreadnaught clone as I type. Throw some melanoidin in there. That provides the unique taste. My recipe calls for 18# 2 row and 1.5# melanoidin Your hop schedule looks great.

Latest posts

Back