Siphoning Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Tex

Reaction score
When I ordered all my equipment on-line, I neglected to order the siphoning tube. Would it be okay to just buy a tube at the local hardware store, or does it need to be foodgrade?

Thanks!
CT

You can buy clear vinyl tubing but a racking can with tip is a nice way to direct the input of the hose. Otherwise the tubing will curl up and generally go wherever it wants... like above the wort level to suck air or down into the trub. Best bet, pickup an autosiphon.

Cool, thanks!

For what it's worth, I did buy an autosiphon from AHS. Problem is that I need to transfer secondary today or tomorrow, and I can't make it across town to the homebrew equipment place until next week. Guess I'll just use the hardware store vinyl tube for now and get a racking cane later on.

Also, how important is it to use a bottle filler? I was thinking of just adding a short tube to my spigot and filling through that?

Bottle fillers are really nice. Can you do without it? Yeah. Will your day be easy with it? Definitely.

Be sure to get the correct size tubbing for the autosiphon (should say on the instructions) or else it won't seal correctly.

Back