Couldn't achieve lager pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathon06

Reaction score
I made my first lager today and could not get the wort below 68. I felt had no option but to pitch the yeast at 68 degrees. It's in a temp controlled chest freezer now set at 55 degrees. Should I keep the temp higher until fermentation starts then drop it down or just set the temp controller to the low 50's and let it start at a lower temperature? Thanks.

I made my first lager today and could not get the wort below 68. I felt had no option but to pitch the yeast at 68 degrees. It's in a temp controlled chest freezer now set at 55 degrees. Should I keep the temp higher until fermentation starts then drop it down or just set the temp controller to the low 50's and let it start at a lower temperature? Thanks.

Ideally, you'd pitch at fermentation temperature but the temperature should drop fairly quickly. How big of a yeast starter did you use?

I would have left it in the ferm chamber overnight and pitched the yeast in the morning. You can set the controller to 52 and let it go. It will cool off slowly, assuming you have a 5 gallon batch.

Any suggestions on how to get the temp down to the low 50's before pitching the yeast? I have an emersion chiller that just doesnt get me to the low 50's.

Try no chill.

I use my immersion chiller to get it as far as I can, then seal it up in a sanitized fermentor, and put it in my freezer. With the freezer still set at 20-32º, I can get it down to 45-50º in about 8-9 hours. That's my new method. I like to pitch my lagers cold.

just cool the wort with your IC as far as it will get you, then put in your freezer and cool the rest of the way then pitch your yeast. for a 5 gal lager batch I usually make a 4 L starter. lagers need twice the cell count of ales.

Yooper said:
Ideally, you'd pitch at fermentation temperature but the temperature should drop fairly quickly. How big of a yeast starter did you use?

IMO, you'd *ideally* pitch a few degrees LOWER than germ temp.

Marathon06 said:
thanks for the reply...next time. how bad of a mistake is it that I pitched at 68?
Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Marathon06 said:
Any suggestions on how to get the temp down to the low 50's before pitching the yeast? I have an emersion chiller that just doesnt get me to the low 50's.

You can get a submersible pump to circulate ice water through it once you get down to 65° or lower.

Or, you can chill the wort exactly the same way you chill the beer... in the freezer.

I made two- 5 gal batches and pitched two different yeast. One appears to be clicking right along, but I've seen no airlock activity from the second and it's been about 26 hours. I pulled it out of the chiller to see if warming it up will help. Any other suggestions? Do I need to pitch more yeast?

emjay said:
You can get a submersible pump to circulate ice water through it once you get down to 65° or lower.

Or, you can chill the wort exactly the same way you chill the beer... in the freezer.
This is what I do. Down to groundwater temps + 20 and then hook the ic up to a pump submersed in ice water.

I made two- 5 gal batches and pitched two different yeast. One appears to be clicking right along, but I've seen no airlock activity from the second and it's been about 26 hours. I pulled it out of the chiller to see if warming it up will help. Any other suggestions? Do I need to pitch more yeast?

I agree with White Labs and what they specifically recommend for a quick start on lager yeast. Pitch the yeast into 70-75 F wort and maintain the wort at 70 until fermentation begins. Then, slowly cool the wort down to the called for temp. But, as you probably know, there are 101 ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would take it out of the freezer, like you have done, and let it sit at room temp until signs of fermentation appear. But, with what you are doing and the temp, 26 hours is not a surprise.

Relax... don't pitch any more yeast at this point. I would suggest if you want to do this next time and pitch at ferm. temps make a 2 liter starter. You need the extra yeast to get the ball rolling at a low temp.

Back