wine bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My wifes friend works at a small walk up type restaurant. She tries really hard to be nice and get involved in whatever we are doing so she brought me some pretty neat little tea bottles yesterday to put some wine in. I don't think they will work but she claims her dad made wine for years ( so she knows everything there possibly is to know about it lol) and they will work perfectly.
They have SNAPPLE type caps on them. The ones that seal from vaccum which I do not think will work...ok is she right or am I right? I hope she is because these are little 500ml bottles that really do look neat to me.

I would be nervous about this. I've done quite a bit of wine and I'm sure there is someone here that has a definitive answer but I don't like the sound of it.

Sounds like they might make nice gift bottles. You could bottle them right before the holidays and give them to people to drink for New Year's. Then if they like the wine they could return them for another bottle next year! :)

This is my first season making wine with my uncles and basically no nothing about it. I've been saving the Carlo Rossi 1 gallon jugs hoping they can be used to bottle.

Is this a good idea? Does the twist off type cap provide enough of a seal or is there something I can buy so these jugs can be used?

Thanks for any help
BLC

IMHO they should be fine for short/medium length storage of wine (up to about a year).

I think we are overwhelmingly skeptical of different wine packaging but really anything that can keep the wine in and the air out should work.

Whenever I bottle my wines I have started putting some of it in 12 ounce beer bottles with a crown cap. Its not pretty, won't appeal to the snobs, but is a great serving size for me alone when I just want a glass or two. Or for a friend that wants to "try" some.

Back