Want to brew a BCBS clone- questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedore

Reaction score
I recently had a glass of BCBS on tap and it reminded me how damn good these are. I've hoarded a couple bottles and they're sitting in my closet. But these were pretty hard to get my hands on- had to trade some CCB that I picked up recently on a trip to Tampa to get some. This got me thinking- why not see if brewing my own is a possibility, so I don't have to worry about rushing out and paying a premium to get a couple of bottles? But I realize this is a really big beer and so I thought I'd check with the powers that be on this board and find out if I'm being too ambitious and overestimating my homebrewing capacity. So here goes:

Background: I have 3 extract batches under my belt- an IPA, hefeweizen and coffee stout. I also did brew with my first kit, a BBS 1-gallon all-grain setup that yielded me their Everyday IPA. These days I use a Brewer's Best kit with a 5.5 gal fermenter and another 5.5 gal bottling bucket. Have not felt the need to get a secondary vessel but will need one for this. I use a 30qt stockpot to mash in and to boil. I also don't have kegging equipment and I bottle my beers.

BIAB: I was looking into BIAB methods to doing this. I believe I would need to get a large enough grain bag and some sort of rack or false bottom to put at the bottom so the bag doesn't burn. Does this sound right? And because BIAB tends to have reduced efficiency, I'd just need to add more grain- any idea how much that would be generally- 5%? 10%? I honestly don't know my efficiency so I'm wondering what's the general ballpark that people have figured out. Or, am I better off doing extract? e.g. don't need to make it any more complicated than it already is?

Temps: I live in a smaller apartment and recently learned more about the importance of temperature control with my last 2 batches. I had a swamp cooler setup that I put together on the fly but I'm thinking I need to get something more consistent and more effective. Seems like the yeasts used for these clones have a range of 60-75. Is there any difference between each end of that scale, e.g. 60 vs 75? Because I will basically only be able to drop a new wet towel on top and throw some ice into the swamp cooler setup in the morning before I go to work.

Secondary: For when I secondary (I do need to get a glass carboy as I have never used a secondary vessel) I understand I'd probably put in some oak chips- is there really any major differences between the ones available on NB- American, French? From what I understand I'd need to soak it in some of my roommate's bourbon for a few days before I drop it into secondary. Certainly I don't think I could get my hands on used whiskey barrels.

Bottling: I also don't have any kegging equipment so I'd bottle. It seems like most people who post clone recipes for this brew will keg their beers. Is there any major downside to bottling compared to kegging here? It'd be nice to get a great batch into 2 cases' worth of bottles and then age them while drinking them as I go along.

And if there's anything else I forgot about, please feel free to educate me. I'm willing to save the project for later if it proves to be too ambitious for my current experience level and equipment- but I need that feedback from more experienced brewers. Thanks in advance!

IME, there is a big difference between 60 and 75. Higher temps lead to more fusels which five nasty headaches. You will also get more ester production. Low temps will take a little longer, but will give cleaner (and IMO better) beers.

My BIAB efficiency has been up to 80%, so that is going to depend on your setup. Not sure how accurately you can guess at that if you have nothing to base the guess upon.

As far as kegging, it is easier (especially on really big beers) to force carbonate and bottle from the keg. I don't remember the alcohol content of BCBS offhand, but I think it is pretty high. If your yeast can even handle it, they will take a long time to carb in the bottle, vs a couple days if you force it in the keg. Granted, this beer is going to take months to mature anyway, so if you work out your timetable correctly you may be able to use some of the bottling time to mature the beer.

IME, there is a big difference between 60 and 75. Higher temps lead to more fusels which five nasty headaches. You will also get more ester production. Low temps will take a little longer, but will give cleaner (and IMO better) beers.

My BIAB efficiency has been up to 80%, so that is going to depend on your setup. Not sure how accurately you can guess at that if you have nothing to base the guess upon.

As far as kegging, it is easier (especially on really big beers) to force carbonate and bottle from the keg. I don't remember the alcohol content of BCBS offhand, but I think it is pretty high. If your yeast can even handle it, they will take a long time to carb in the bottle, vs a couple days if you force it in the keg. Granted, this beer is going to take months to mature anyway, so if you work out your timetable correctly you may be able to use some of the bottling time to mature the beer.

Yeah, I don't mind bottling the brew and leaving it in the closet for months on hand. I do wonder if I should scale down the recipes to do a 1 or 2.5gal batch just to test it out and see if it's worth the effort to brew even more of it. I'm honestly just trying to figure out how feasible it is to brew such a big beer like this (15% abv) with my current equipment setup and experience.

Hey stevedore,
Have to admit I didn't know what BCBS stood for:eek:
But I went to the recipe section and checked it out. Now I want to try one!
You might be interested there is a pretty extensive thread there on recipes for BCBS.
Good Luck and Good Brew!

stevedore said:
Yeah, I don't mind bottling the brew and leaving it in the closet for months on hand. I do wonder if I should scale down the recipes to do a 1 or 2.5gal batch just to test it out and see if it's worth the effort to brew even more of it. I'm honestly just trying to figure out how feasible it is to brew such a big beer like this (15% abv) with my current equipment setup and experience.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a beer that big, just keep dumping in the extract. :)

Like I said, my main concern would be making sure the yeast you have can survive at that high of an alcohol content.

Hey stevedore,
Have to admit I didn't know what BCBS stood for:eek:
But I went to the recipe section and checked it out. Now I want to try one!
You might be interested there is a pretty extensive thread there on recipes for BCBS.
Good Luck and Good Brew!

You shouldn't have any problem getting a beer that big, just keep dumping in the extract. :)

Like I said, my main concern would be making sure the yeast you have can survive at that high of an alcohol content.

If you have ever liked any porter or stout, you need to try some BCBS. Really the gold standard of barrel-aged imperial stouts.

I'd been looking around in the Recipe forum where the link is at the header of HBT.. didn't realize there was a subforum here. I don't venture out of the Beginners forum much, haha. Thanks for the information. I think I need to get a mesh bag, a digital thermometer and scale... then I'll attempt a 2.5gal version of this beast. If it comes out great in a few months, I'll brew a 5gal with a tweaked recipe if need be... these would be perfect holiday gifts!

I'll go talk to the guys at LHBS and see how they feel about the yeast surviving 13-15% ABV. But I haven't thought of any reason why I can't brew this beer with what I have.

Back