chest freezer recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
SWMBO has given me permission to buy a chest freezer or similiar apparatus for cooling during fermentation; apparently I've been a good boy lately :ban:

Only condition is that it doesn't chew up too much electricity. When it's not cooling my fermention bucket she'll probably want to use it for vegetables and such - and if it's big enough it might be cooling vegetables along with the wort <g> Our current fridge is pretty small.

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent-sized eco chest freezer for under GBP 300 pounds here in the UK? I have two regular-sized 5-gallon plastic fermenter buckets (one from the Cooper's kit, the other one is this one). I'd prefer an upright so I'm not throwing my back out moving around full fermentation buckets. Would wine/drink coolers like this work?

And how do I hook up a temperature control?

TIA!

-S

Since no one is replying yet, I will but keep in mind I'm in the US so I'll be speaking in dollars and cubic feet.

Uprights are not cheap, because they are almost always frostfree/frostless. Now, that's handy, but it also means that the shelves inside are usually fixed, because they have coolant lines running through them. Assuming you did find one, it'd probably have to be at least 14 cubic feet to be tall enough for two fermenters to sit inside on two different shelves. They won't fit on the same shelf, ever. 5 gallon corny kegs would fit, because they are tall and skinny (barely 9" in diameter, and 26" tall on average). When I priced a 16 cu upright freezer with non-movable shelves, I think it was nearly $400 US at Sears, new.

So, a lotta guys get a chest freezer. Yes, its lifting 40lbs of wort in and out a lot so if your back is bad, I don't recommend it. But, chest freezers have a nice foot print for buckets and kegs. A 5 cu. foot chest freezer would hold 1 bucket for sure, or 2 kegs and the co2. I priced these at Sears at something like $170. I ended up with a 7.4cu Sears freezer though for $199 which had a lot more room in the bottom for my kegging needs.

For temp control, you can either get one that has to be wired in to bypass the old thermostat, or get an external controller which has a big temp probe on it, and the freezer plugs into it so it only gets power to run when its too warm. Basically causes it to not run very often or for very long, so it doesn't hit your power bill all that badly.

Back