• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap Copper at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up on this FLBrew. I was able to snag a 50' 1/2" coil for $20 also.

Cheers :mug:

I wasn't really planning on making a chiller anytime soon but I couldn't pass up this deal. Picked up 1/2" x 50' for $15.03. It was the last if that size but there were several other sizes still available. Store in North Olmsted, OH.

Now to research what other parts I need! I love homebrew projects

stpug said:
Thanks for the heads up on this FLBrew. I was able to snag a 50' 1/2" coil for $20 also. Cheers :mug:

No problem...glad I could contribute in some way to HBT. I'm stoked so many people are able to save some money...more to spend on other Homebrew parts and supplies.

NO SALE in San Diego, CA. What a bummer. I should have known not to get my hopes up. I always get shafted.

jperry said:
NO SALE in San Diego, CA. What a bummer. I should have known not to get my hopes up. I always get shafted.

You're 3 hours behind...check back tomorrow 😉

The Lorain, OH store had a bunch left this afternoon. I got a 60' 3/4"ID for ~$40 and 60' 3/8"ID for ~$25! The Elyria store only had 3/4" yesterday left.

If you want to sell one of those I'll make it worth your while!

My HD still had 7 1/2" ID type L 60' coils left for $37.50 (I believe that to be the correct price) along with a few other sizes/lengths on clearance. I drive by there every day and would be happy to grab one if you're willing to pay for shipping.

Thanks OP! Scored a 1/2" ID X 50' coil for $20.03 (originally $79.43) and a 1/2" OD X 60' coil for $35.03 (originally $157) in Prescott Valley, AZ! Upgrading my puny 3/8" x 25' Immersion Chiller, now I just need the DIY instructions!?

Robert
GypsyBrew

My HD still had 7 1/2" ID type L 60' coils left for $37.50 (I believe that to be the correct price) along with a few other sizes/lengths on clearance. I drive by there every day and would be happy to grab one if you're willing to pay for shipping.

I would be more than willing to pay shipping! I'm just a little hesitant because you have no trader feedback, and only 2 posts

I was only able to find the 1/2"od type L copper on sale by me, but started thinking; How can I use this for a counterflow chiller?
All the DIY directions I find call for 3/8"od copper and 5/8"id rubber hose.:confused:

What kind/ size of a hose are you guys using with the 1/2"od/ copper
I guess I would need 3/4"id hose for the outside jacket but have you seen the price for one that is rated for High temp!;:eek: Holy Crap I would be better off just getting a new one already made up from my LHBS.
What else are you guys doing with 50+feet of this stuff? Just wondering if it is worth it for me to pick it up if it's going to cost $$$ to make a chiller.

What else are you guys doing with 50+feet of this stuff? Just wondering if it is worth it for me to pick it up if it's going to cost $$$ to make a chiller.

I'm using the 1/2 inch 50' for a larger immersion chiller. I whirlpool in the kettle, and use a pump to recirculate around the chiller. My old immersion chiller will become my prechiller.

Got mine in Texas. 1/2" od x50' copper for about $21. Smokin' deal!

Thanks for the heads up.

BigFloppy said:
No firesale NW Atlanta either yet
Did you call the stores or check on line? I'm in NE Atlanta and it's going on but on line it lists at regular price. Try calling every store in what ever radius that you are comfortable with. When I did it took four stores before I found any. Good luck.

Thanks to the OP. I thought I would be late, but there is still inventory out there (Arlington VA)....just picked up three 1/2" x 60ft Type L for $35.03 each (normally 189.00 at my store)....take off 10% for a military discount and add back tax.....the total is $100.25 for 180 feet of tubing.

All three boxes were on the top shelf, and there was no pricing information. They were hidden in plain sight.

I found a roll up in Gainesville. I'm gonna check at a HD in Gwinnett tomorrow to see if they have any.

If you are willing to drive a little farther, check the Winder store. It's just off of 316 on the way to Athens. They still had 60' 1/2" last time I checked.

Sales on at the north appleton wi store. Got 60 feet of 1/2 for $27. They had a few 5/8 x 50 left for $21, and one left of what I got.

Already screwed up my first 50 foot roll kinked the **** out of it...took it to the scrap yard...$30 nice little $15 profit ...good thing i got practice

I stopped in at the Sheboygan, WI HD last night and they still had about 6 of the 1/2" by 60ft for $27 and only 1 of the 5/8" by 50ft for $22. I grabbed a 60 footer to make 2 counter flow chillers hoping I don't kink it and only get 1 out of it. Thanks for the thread!

FLBrew, thanks for the scoop! I'm the proud owner of a fifty foot by 1/2 inch wort chiller!

ForumRunner_20131110_174310.jpg

By the time I got to HD after work tonight they were closed. Going to hit them tomorrow.

Lookin good!! If you don't mind, how tall are the coils from top to bottom? I bought a 60' 1/2" coil and I'm trying to decide if I want to do a single or double coil.

My coil was 50', and it's 9 1/2" from the bottom of the chiller to the top coil. In my keggle, that is about the 8 gallon mark. For me it's a bit of overkill on a 5 gallon batch (usually 6 1/4 at the end of the boil) but great for a 10 gallon batch!

My 50' x 3/8" has now been relegated to a ice-bath pre-chiller for the warm months!

flbrew, thanks for the scoop! I'm the proud owner of a fifty foot by 1/2 inch wort chiller!

View attachment 159506

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!! :D

Are you using compression fittings on the top?
What are the "bands" that keep the tubing connected on the upright section?
What was your method for bending the tubing (slow and steady)? Or did you fill with sand/salt/water?

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!! :D

Are you using compression fittings on the top?
What are the "bands" that keep the tubing connected on the upright section?
What was your method for bending the tubing (slow and steady)? Or did you fill with sand/salt/water?

LOL!

1/2in x 1/2 in compression fittings, with 1/2 to hose adapters (1 male and 1 female). The "bands" are just 14 gauge copper wire, stripped of insulation, wrapped & frapped. Bent slowly around a 2-gallon plastic bucket, but if I had owned a corny keg, I would have use it!

Latest posts

Back