Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9999USMC

Reaction score
:drunk: :drunk:
I just brewed my first batch last Saturday and have a question. How can you tell by just looking at your batch that something is OFF or WRONG? My batch has stopped fermenting in my glass carboy but has these little “floaters” on top. I’m not talking about the “foam or minerals” looking stuff which was there when it was fermenting.

I plan on moving it to my bottling bucket to “let it clear for another week then bottle. When I do this I was going to take a reading. Should I do this before (take a reading)? Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time doing this.

Thanks in advance.
:fro:

Best way to tell it has stopped fermenting is to take a reading.

Also, I wouldn't use the bottling bucket as a secondary as, everything that falls to the bottom will probably clog the little spigot thing.

Just let it sit where it is for another week. Did you dry hop it? If it doesn't settle out, just bottle it as is and after priming, refridgerate it and it will settle in the cold conditioning process. RDWHAHB :mug:

The floaters could be just about anything (Hops, pieces of malt if you used it,etc...). No need to worry a bit. Let it settle out, and as long as your sanitation remains good throughout the process you will be fine.

Thanks for the info. I took a reading today and got the following:

Before the addition of yeast the reading was 1.060 (last Saturday)

Today it was 1.020.................

I will let it sit for another week like you guys are saying.

Semper Fi

Like strange oriental food, it is best not to look too closely at your beer when it is fermenting. All sorts of strange things float around in there that are completely normal. The big, brown floaters are especially disconcerting when you first see them. Perfectly normal. Bottle when ready.

Thanks for the help, hopefully my first batch turns out OK. The floaters look like small round like soap suds about 25 little circles.

9999USMC said:
Thanks for the help, hopefully my first batch turns out OK. The floaters look like small round like soap suds about 25 little circles.

To be expected-- don't worry-- this is perhaps the most common concern amongst first time brewers.

I'm sure it'll turn out fine. :mug:

Latest posts

Back