Completely Threadless? All tri clovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
Has anyone built a whole stand (plumbing) out of all tri clovers? I have been thinking about all the guys on this fourm that can weld beautifuly. Its not like the ferruls are that expensive, maybe even the same price as a threaded fitting.

http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-Ferrule-Short.html

I have been thinking about starting a new rig, maybe even 30 gallons. I dont know how to tig but I am great with mig. Is this a journey i should embark on? Purchase the Tig and get to practicing?

I have noticed that the tri clover pumps are around $300.. maybe I might have to have a removable pump to clean those threads?

I've thought about this, but when you start adding up the costs, it suddenly becomes VERY expensive. Consider that for every joint you need two tri-clamp fittings plus the clamps and gaskets. Tri-clamp valves and pumps are at least twice as expensive as NPT.

If you want to go truly threadless you'll need welded fittings. TIG welding is not as easy as it looks, if your going to spend all that money on tri-clamps, you might as well get good sanitary welds; and your not going to learn to do that in a couple months time.

You also want to take into account the tri-clamp sizes. Most of the cheap ferrules use 1.5" tri-clamp fittings, but a 1/2" triclamp ball valve uses a 1/2" tri-clamp, so now you'll need an additional reducer unless you're going to use a 1" valve.

What I decided to do is to make tri-clamp connections for the hard lines to my keggles, but everything else will be NPT or compression fittings.

Another option you might want to consider is Tri-clamp to compression fitting adapters. This would at least save some welding time.

I have the time. The most confusing part is getting the Ferrules and ID to match correctly. I want to go with a heavy capacity of something like 30 gal even though i will probably only do 20 gal batches. So if i do this i might as well do it right.

I figure: $2.50-3.00 a tri X 2 for conections and one Clamp, and clamps I can purchase a lot on ebay.

Elbows can be pricey but feasable. $15-19 and elbow. I think were I am running into problems is the straight connectors. which take some welding.

Pumps: shouldnt be a problem, just buy the stainless head march cut some threads off and weld a ferruel?

Good ideas or bad ideas?

Draw it out and count the connections. Then go to the actual available sources and price every piece out including the elbows, etc.. If its in your price range, go for it.

For my intended system it would have been a couple grand without stainless pump heads and tig welding.

The cheapest tri-clamp 1/2" ball valves I could find were $75 each, I needed 9 for my 3 pump system. That'll give you a start.

For the record, I'll say it again: You'll be better off having a pro make your welds.

I completlely undestand having a pro make all my comnnections. I have a freind who has a pipe threader so thats always and option, I just really like the idea of having all tri. probably looking at a 3k project.... Is it worth it? idk. maybe cad it up and figure out the costs.

Im brainstorming right now. It would be nice to see someone that has actually done this.

The IDs match up if you are using ultra-polished tubing. The standard thickness for the tubing and the fittings is both .065". Me and buddy made a system last year that is pretty much all tri-clamp fittings[the pump is still a work in progress]. We work for a biotech equipment manufacturing, so we were able to save a lot of money due to the fact that my brother is a machinist, and I am welder. But no ****, I taught myself Sanitary TIG welding in less than a couple months, with NO TIG experience to start with...its SS not aluminum.;) I'll try to find the time in the next couple weeks to get our build posted up here with pics and prices for ya. I sourced most of my Triclamp stuff from gvc.net. Its a little more pricey than the ebay guy[KL stainless or something like that] a lot of people talk about on here but all my fittings came with materials certs. And a few months ago I was looking into making a 1/2bbl keg into a convertible sankey/corny keg but the ebay guy never got back to me about some SS stuff.

I thought about doing the entire brewstand, but just have a hard time justifying the expense on the hot side of my brewery. I think I might start all TC connections from my kettle's out valve onwards though.

EVENTUALLY I might convert to an entirely TC system, including the hot side, but right now that seems like the thing I'd do when I have absolutely nothing else to spend my money on.

Maybe just worrie about all tri clovers on the Boil side. I guess threaded with tri on the mash tun etc is somewhat useless?

If you're thinking of using hard lines instead of hoses, then I think it absolutely makes sense to use tri-clamps at specific locations (anything you might want to disconnect regularly).

In my system this will be at the keggles (in and out lines) and the valve connection to the pump. Then I will be able to remove my keggles from the system easily for cleaning and repair/modification.

I am still considering using them at the valve connections (even though they'll be threaded into the valve) just so I can remove the valves easily for cleaning/disassembly. But this means at least 36 more tri-clamp pieces I'd have to buy.

However, I don't think it's worth the money on the hot side just to get rid of the threaded connections.

Back