Extract or All-Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've mostly made kits so far; done a few extract versions and have been happy for the most part with the results.

Different types of DME and LME are not that easy to come by here. I have a trip to Minneapolis coming up and intend to do some shopping at Northern Brewer. At this point I THINK I could handle all-grain. I'd need to purchase an 8-gallon brew kettle and a burner. I've been brewing in a 22 quart pot on a glasstop electric stove and I would have trouble boiling even 5 gallons.

So I could invest in a bigger kettle, build an immersion chiller, and make the move to all-grain. I figure I would mash & boil in the new kettle on the burner, but I could sparge on the stove in my 22 quart pot (I hope my terminology is right).

My alternative is to continue to do extracts with some specialty grains mixed in. There are a ton of good extract kits at NB and I can identify at least half a dozen I would pick up and do as time allows. Easy schmeasy on the stovetop with about three gallon boils.

Advice on which way to go? Is the quality of beer made through all-grain noticeably superior to extracts? Another issue is that I like to do my brewing in the winter, but it gets extremely cold here so brewing outdoors is troublesome. I have a 30x22 garage with 13 foot ceilings; if I have a window or door open for fresh air could I use my burner in the garage safely? Or would an electric burner be smarter?

Any advice is appreciated!

its up to you AG and extract both produce good beers but you have more control over AG and it more challenging. You can mash inside and just boil outside, thats what I do but I have a RIMS Setup. The only part that sucks about brewing in the cold is waiting for the hot break and cooling. Adding hops you just throw it in and go back inside. You can use your burner in the garage with some ventilation

This a very contentious debate at times but AG does not make better beer then extract. AG is cheaper. AG allows some added control over the fermentability of the wort. However that added control comes with some added responsibility as a brewer. But AG does not make better beer. Extract can make some of the best beer in the world. Other factors like sanitation, yeast handling and fermentation temp control are probably way more important factors in the quality of your beer.

You can use a propane burner in a garage. Just crack a window or door for ventilation.

I do recommend you go to full boils. Then work on fermentation temp control. Then get a keg system. Then have a look at AG.

For all it costs to make a super cheap mash tun (cooler + manifold, or cooler + bung + copper pipe + braid) -- you might as well make the full leap to AG and just do a proper mash tun.

The long term ingredients cost is cheaper, although the equipment costs are a small hit up front...but don't think you cant go AG on the super cheap. Coolers are cheap now, and you don't need the super manifold setups that other people have. My mash tun is just a bung with a piece of copper through it that connects to a braid. On the outside, a hose with a little cheapo plastic valve is the only thing that seals that shut.

Just do it. :)

Brewing in a garage with good ventilation isn't a problem.

Making the step to AG is expensive, but if you brew a great deal and have trouble getting extracts, it would be a good move.

(above poster has neglected to include the cost of a grain mill)

Go with your gut and brew what you want. You can make some excellent beer using extract and specialty grains.
If you however suffer from a need for gadgetry and digging deeper into the processes ( like many on here including myself), then you can make the jump to all grain.

My first try at all grain was using a 22qt kettle and a converted bottling bucket for an MLT. I was able to make a few really good 4gal batches before slowly upgrading to a larger kettle and eventually a larger MLT.
You will also see on some threads about "brew in a bag" or BIAB, which is an easy alternative.

Building an immersion chiller is definitley easy, and recommended regardless of all grain or PM. The closer to a full boil you can get, the better the quality of your beer (hop utilization).
As far a quality goes, with fresh extracts and specialty grains you can make great beer. For me, all grain offers just more flexibility. I am still quite capable of making a bad beer either way.

Not a good judge for winter brewing, being I live in Florida. But I brewed last weekend on my covered backporch, in 32 degree weather with a propane heater nearby.

Brewing in a garage with good ventilation isn't a problem.

Making the step to AG is expensive, but if you brew a great deal and have trouble getting extracts, it would be a good move.

(above poster has neglected to include the cost of a grain mill)

Above poster knows you can buy milled grain. :)

It's one of those "nice to have" things, sure....but I lived without one for a year of AG brewing, and no need to throw an extra $100-150 in on something that isn't really needed.

The step to AG isn't expensive if you do it on the cheap, and work your way up.

It all depends on what you prioritize. As long as you have good temperature control, yeast pitching, and cool down times. Beer made through both methods will be on the same level. I personally stick with extract for a few reasons:
1. I have been happy with all recipe kits I've made. With the wide selection I feel no need to dabble into creating my own recipes.
2. I don't have room for further equipment.
3. I'd rather save an hour or two on brew day.

I know one day with the space I will move to all-grain.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a buddy who brews a fair amount; if I can convince him to go halfers on an AG system I might take the plunge. Otherwise I think I can do everything I want (for now) with extracts. Only downside is the general lack of extract availability here!

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a buddy who brews a fair amount; if I can convince him to go halfers on an AG system I might take the plunge. Otherwise I think I can do everything I want (for now) with extracts. Only downside is the general lack of extract availability here!

I've been doing this for a while and I still use the extracts. It just works better for me.

Where are you that you can't get quality extract? I seam to be able to get all sort over the internet. Will they not ship to you?

Where are you that you can't get quality extract? I seam to be able to get all sort over the internet. Will they not ship to you?

Winnipeg. There's a place here that stocks a decent supply of malt but carries only one type of LME and two or three types of DME. Most of the US suppliers I've looked at won't ship here. But I have to admit I haven't done an exhaustive search yet.

I can't wait to pick up some extract kits at Northern Brewer this weekend!

I like Northern Brewer for an internet source. I am too lazy right now to try to look up the links again, but I do remember doing a google search for Canadian homebrew supply stores before. Some do gouge you if you're in a far away province. But it's worth it to do a search: I remember that you can save quite a bit if you find the right source (either being close to your province or having a flat shipping rate).

Back