Toppling Goliath... worth the trip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to be in Iowa over Christmas. Specifically in Cedar Falls. Decorah is about 80 miles away. It's the dead of winter and I hear their taproom is tiny. Also heard somewhere that there will be no Assassin or KBBS until sometime in 2016. I'm thinking it will depend on which Hop Patrol or Specialty beers are available, which I won't know until I get there, but supposing there is nothing extra special available, is it still worth the trip? Or just check for bottles at the big HyVee liquor store in College Square, and check taps at Mulligans and Singlespeed?

No KBBS or Assassin until 2016 is correct, at least according to them.

They will likely have their main staples like Dorothy, pseudoSue, Golden Nugget and a few other rotating beers. Most should be available in growlers and bottles to go as well. There's probably a decent chance they'll have something interesting like ZeeLander or Pompeii on tap but who knows. I think they update their Twitter and Facebook fairly regularly.

Never been there so I can't say if it's worth it. It's about a 7 hour round trip from my house.

I went there on the 1st of this month and will say it was worth the trip. Granted the taproom is small. If I wasnt in a hurry to get back on the road (to New Glarus) I would have definitely had more than just a small samples of Mornin Latte on Nitro and King Sue. I have yet to try the highly acclaimed Assassin. KBBS and Mornin Delight (missed out on the MD email event by a few hours :smack: ) I really liked the beer on tap. Plus I picked up two bottles of Sosus which is a good Double IPA and I am not a fan of IPA's in general. I would keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter to see whats on tap. They had Surly Darkness on tap when I went but I didn't try it since I have 2 bottles of the BA Darkness in my fridge lol.

I went there on the 1st of this month and will say it was worth the trip. Granted the taproom is small. If I wasnt in a hurry to get back on the road (to New Glarus) I would have definitely had more than just a small samples of Mornin Latte on Nitro and King Sue. I have yet to try the highly acclaimed Assassin. KBBS and Mornin Delight (missed out on the MD email event by a few hours :smack: ) I really liked the beer on tap. Plus I picked up two bottles of Sosus which is a good Double IPA and I am not a fan of IPA's in general. I would keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter to see whats on tap. They had Surly Darkness on tap when I went but I didn't try it since I have 2 bottles of the BA Darkness in my fridge lol.

Thanks for the great info!

Just visited today from Rochester. Hour and 20 min drive. Definitely worth it. Im originally from Oregon and have traveled extensively drinking amazing beers. I woud say I have adapted a somewhat "picky" palate. I had Pompeii, and rank it my #1 beer. To me, better than Zombie Dust or Pliney. Oh my God....soooooo good!

I'd also recommend a visit. 80 miles isn't too bad. I made the trip from MPLS for MD day, it was my first time there. As mentioned they'll have their standards pouring, and usually have at least one rotational item on as well. If you haven't had PseudoSue, the trip is worth it for that alone. They do update their taplist on twitter/facebook regularly so just check that out before you go.

My faves that are semi-regularly available (more than MD, assassin, KBBS etc. at least) are PseudoSue, King Sue, and Sosus. Haven't had Pompeii but really want to try that, heard great things.

Let us know what you think!

I've never been to their tap room, but I used to be able to occasionally buy their beers actually brewed in Decorah.

As much as I am an advocate for the Florida BrewHub as the beers are much more available.. they are now, IMHO not quite as good as they were.

It literally used to look like the bottles were hand capped.. and now they are very professional. Maybe it's.. well.. just perception....

So I'd say just buying bottles at HyVee will 100% get you the BrewHub beers (which are pretty good, honestly).. so a stop in Decorah is a good idea. I'd like to do that someday myself..

Fred

Just visited today from Rochester. Hour and 20 min drive. Definitely worth it. Im originally from Oregon and have traveled extensively drinking amazing beers. I woud say I have adapted a somewhat "picky" palate. I had Pompeii, and rank it my #1 beer. To me, better than Zombie Dust or Pliney. Oh my God....soooooo good!

Yeah, Pompeii is pretty amazing. They bottled a batch about a month ago that was stellar. That might have been the same batch you tried. You should also try Zeelander if you get a chance. That is their Nelson hopped IPA.

Last year, they did a batch of Zeelander with Mosaic dry hopping. That might be the best thing I've ever had from them.

Yeah, Pompeii is pretty amazing. They bottled a batch about a month ago that was stellar. That might have been the same batch you tried. You should also try Zeelander if you get a chance. That is their Nelson hopped IPA.

Last year, they did a batch of Zeelander with Mosaic dry hopping. That might be the best thing I've ever had from them.

Yeah, I'm hoping Pompei is available when I go in December. Honestly, I have never had a beer that featured Mosaic hops that I didn't like. I think Clown Shoes Space Cake was the first I ever tried. It's easily one of my favorite double IPAs. In Texas, lots of people think Lone Pint's Yellow Rose is the best IPA made in the state. I've got a Mosaic SMaSH in the fermentor right now! Conclusion - all Mosaic hopped IPAs are awesome!!!

I've never been to their tap room, but I used to be able to occasionally buy their beers actually brewed in Decorah.

As much as I am an advocate for the Florida BrewHub as the beers are much more available.. they are now, IMHO not quite as good as they were.

It literally used to look like the bottles were hand capped.. and now they are very professional. Maybe it's.. well.. just perception....

So I'd say just buying bottles at HyVee will 100% get you the BrewHub beers (which are pretty good, honestly).. so a stop in Decorah is a good idea. I'd like to do that someday myself..

Fred

I'm sorry Fred, but you've completely lost me... What is Florida BrewHub, and what does it have to do with Toppling Goliath? Or beers bought at HyVee?

Google is powerful my friend... http://brewhub.com/... Toppling Goliath is one of the "partners". Standard 4 packs with a "TGB" labeled cap are actually made by the BrewHub. Some 22 oz ones still come from Decorah. I was hoping in Iowa we would still get the locally brewed stuff, but that isn't the case in Hy-Vee and most liquor stores.

So if you want the "real deal" a trip to Decorah is on order.

TG partnered/contracted with Brew Hub to have them make some TG beers to help meet demand. Basically Brew Hub is a brewing facility for hire. They help make Jai Alai for Cigar City and other beers as well. The 12 oz bottles of Dorothy, Golden Nugget, pseudoSue, 1492 IPA and Rover Truck come from the Florida Brew Hub facility. I believe all 22 oz bottles and kegs come from Decorah.

And soon cans will be coming from BH first and then Decorah. I don't know if they are phasing out 12 oz bottles.

If Decorah is using labeled caps, then the 22 ozers might still be from there. I have seen 22 oz ones with different labels and the TGB cap though.. I don't know if they have standardized their packaging to look the same as the BrewHub beers in Decorah or not.

It used to look like the bottles literally were hand capped with LD Carlson caps.. and I will admit the batches varied.. but I liked that.. it was different than most other breweries-- very unique.. None were ever really "bad", in fact all were excellent--but I will admit I thought that PseudoSue was pretty overrated...I'm actually wanting to try a BrewHub PS but it's still always sold out! ;)

But if I were going to go on a quest to Iowa to get TG... I'd go to Decorah and that was the point of my comment... enjoy...

Fred

The taproom is far from tiny....the bar only has 8-10 stools, but there are at least 15 tables.

And yeah, if you are that close and have a day, totally worth it.

Follow them on the twitterz for taproom updates. https://twitter.com/TGBrews

The taproom is far from tiny....the bar only has 8-10 stools, but there are at least 15 tables.

And yeah, if you are that close and have a day, totally worth it.

Follow them on the twitterz for taproom updates. https://twitter.com/TGBrews

THANK YOU! I don't remember now where I read that it was tiny, but this puts me at ease. I was concerned about heading up on a freezing winter day and not having space to hang out inside and take my time enjoying the beers. I just hope they don't change their hours over the holidays. Looking at my schedule and it will probably be Monday 12/28 when we would be able to drive up from Cedar Falls.

If you make it down to Cedar Rapids, you should also visit Lion's Bridge.

Their brown porter picked up a gold at the GABF and Quinton, the head brewer, is a cool guy. I am very thankful that he allowed the CR Beer Nuts group grain buy to be purchased through him this year..

http://www.lionbridgebrewing.com/

So I'll put in a plug for him for sure.. enjoy...

Fred

If you make it down to Cedar Rapids, you should also visit Lion's Bridge.

Their brown porter picked up a gold at the GABF and Quinton, the head brewer, is a cool guy. I am very thankful that he allowed the CR Beer Nuts group grain buy to be purchased through him this year..

http://www.lionbridgebrewing.com/

So I'll put in a plug for him for sure.. enjoy...

Fred

Interesting looking place, and those are some gorgeous conicals! No time this trip for more than one out of town brewery visit, but I'll be back next summer for my high school reunion, so maybe I'll make in down to CR that trip.

If Decorah is using labeled caps, then the 22 ozers might still be from there. I have seen 22 oz ones with different labels and the TGB cap though.. I don't know if they have standardized their packaging to look the same as the BrewHub beers in Decorah or not.

It used to look like the bottles literally were hand capped with LD Carlson caps.. and I will admit the batches varied.. but I liked that.. it was different than most other breweries-- very unique.. None were ever really "bad", in fact all were excellent--but I will admit I thought that PseudoSue was pretty overrated...I'm actually wanting to try a BrewHub PS but it's still always sold out! ;)

But if I were going to go on a quest to Iowa to get TG... I'd go to Decorah and that was the point of my comment... enjoy...

Fred

I was there recently and noticed all the bottled beers for sale to-go had the TG cap on them. All the Bombers were cold, she said they were directly from the brewery cold, so I could not get a room temp bottle for the ride home. The 4-packs were available at room temp.
I had the Zeelander on tap and it was fabulous, I believe Nelson Sauvin hops, if you are a hophead this is a must-try. Not available in bottles at that time. Sosus is an IIPA with Mosaic hops, one of my favorites.

I understand there is another small microbrewery literally a block away, I have not been, it is slightly south and west right around the corner. I heard that they make some more unusual brews, I took that to mean stouts or porters with flavors, or maybe pumpkin, not sure.

Unfortunately, winter storm Goliath (interesting coincidence!) prevented me from visiting TG on Monday 12/28. I was able to purchase Golden Nugget from the local HyVee, so at least I was able to taste and bring back one of their beers. I was quite impressed with that beer, so now I want to try Psuedosue, and some others even more. Hopefully next trip, which will be in June.

It is pretty easy to find four packs of Golden Nugget here in Iowa now, but like I said most come from Florida. The 22 ouncers are usually still from Decorah. A lot of the HyVees either have those by the liquor checkout or hidden back in the walk in.

It is pretty easy to find four packs of Golden Nugget here in Iowa now, but like I said most come from Florida. The 22 ouncers are usually still from Decorah. A lot of the HyVees either have those by the liquor checkout or hidden back in the walk in.

Aren't all 22oz from Decorah and all 12oz from Florida? I'm not aware of any bombers from brew hub and vice versa, but I could be wrong.

Oh and to stay on topic the taproom is totally worth it along with getting ahold of most things brewed in Iowa. Pompeii and Zeelander have both been incredible lately.

Oh and to stay on topic the taproom is totally worth it along with getting ahold of most things brewed in Iowa. Pompeii and Zeelander have both been incredible lately.

Thanks. I'm going back to Iowa in June for my high school reunion, so hopefully we will get the chance to run up to Decorah. Hopefully no blizzards then. ;)

Wherever it's brewed, it's still a damn good IPA. Thanks for the tip on the 22s. I didn't think to look for them in the HyVee. I was thinking they were only available at the brewery. Next time...

Wherever it's brewed, it's still a damn good IPA. Thanks for the tip on the 22s. I didn't think to look for them in the HyVee. I was thinking they were only available at the brewery. Next time...

Yup, I'm just being nostalgic. If anything the BrewHub beers are very consistent. It's kind of like hearing a computer play a piano versus a person, though. For awhile, TG beers were noticeably different from batch to batch, cloudy and looked like they were hand capped with LD Carlson caps.. ;) Tasted fantastic regardless.

I'm not sure if that is actually better.. probably not... but it was fun.

I need to get up to Decorah someday. My wife is very much not on board with the beer hobby, though so it will be difficult for me to do.

Cheers

Fred

Yup, I'm just being nostalgic. If anything the BrewHub beers are very consistent. It's kind of like hearing a computer play a piano versus a person, though. For awhile, TG beers were noticeably different from batch to batch, cloudy and looked like they were hand capped with LD Carlson caps.. ;) Tasted fantastic regardless.

I'm not sure if that is actually better.. probably not... but it was fun.

I need to get up to Decorah someday. My wife is very much not on board with the beer hobby, though so it will be difficult for me to do.

Cheers

Fred

Thanks Fred. Yeah, I understand. My wife is not too thrilled with my obsession either, but she plays along most of the time. She will at least try most any beer. Then she will look at me and say "yup, that's beer." I'll get her excited about going up to Decorah by telling her how beautiful that part of Iowa is, and promising to visit a park and do some hiking. She's an outdoor girl, so that will appease her. You just need to find something else in that part of the state that your wife will enjoy doing.

Love HyVee but (it seems IMHO..) each store is run differently, so it is hard to get a feel for what they may have unless you visit each store (which sometimes is a good thing).. I was in the 53rd/Utica Ridge store on the Davenport/Bettendorf border last Friday, and picked up several TG beers that were available (Dorothy, 1492 & Rover Truck) - after hearing a bartender @ Radicle Effect Brewerks (awesome bar for homebrewers to checkout BTW..) bar in Rock Island,Il tell me that this HyVee store usually stocks TG in the corner of the beer section... So I asked about Pseudo Sue and the liquor store manager said next Friday morning they'd have some more... So I went 25 miles back to the store this morning, but they didn't get any PS in... I've tried several places over the last year when I was in Des Moines or Iowa City, but like anything in life Timing is Everything and came up empty.

One of these days I'm just going to take the 4 hr drive to TG and try it, and buy my Powerball Ticket at a HyVee... At least I'd have a chance...I did enjoy the Dorothy, 1492 and Rover Truck beers though so it wasn't a total wasted trip. I enjoyed the consistency/character of the 3 beers which tells me a lot about TG...

Cases and cases of PS at Oakland Road in Cedar Rapids. The canned stuff (from FL) is the best PS I ever had. Odd because the bottles from there wasn't really that good. Try a couple of different HyVees. If it is like Cedar Rapids the smaller ones with liquor areas tend to be the best managed. I guess because they play that as more of a profit center. But if you come though Cedar Rapids Oakland Rd. is the one to go to. Well that or Benz beverage Depot near the NewBo area which is even better...

Cases and cases of PS at Oakland Road in Cedar Rapids. The canned stuff (from FL) is the best PS I ever had. Odd because the bottles from there wasn't really that good. Try a couple of different HyVees. If it is like Cedar Rapids the smaller ones with liquor areas tend to be the best managed. I guess because they play that as more of a profit center. But if you come though Cedar Rapids Oakland Rd. is the one to go to. Well that or Benz beverage Depot near the NewBo area which is even better...

Great info thanks... much closer then Decorah...

Back