Ole Mole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Well, for better or for worse, here it is!

Ole Mole Portero
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
12-B Porter, Robust Porter
Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 42 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 20.00 Wort Size (Gal): 20.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 39.00
Anticipated OG: 1.05379 Plato: 13.284
Anticipated SRM: 29.2
Anticipated IBU: 24.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.1 25.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
12.8 5.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
9.0 3.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
5.1 2.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.03400 475
1.3 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt Great Britain 1.02700 525
7.7 3.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.03300 2
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 21.7 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 2.7 30 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.00 Oz Red Chile Powder Spice 7 Days
28.00 Oz cocoa Spice 7 Day
3 tsp. cinnamon spice 7 days

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 39.00
Water Qts: 42.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 10.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.08 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 13.62 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----
Heat cocoa, cinnamon and chile powder in a dry sauce pan until fragrant. Cover with
water, stir, mix and simmer to form a smooth, wet paste about the consisten
cy of ketchup. Add sauce to secondary.

That SOUNDS great..
love the name too.

It just made it on my long list of "stuff i have to brew"

would there be an easy way to convert into a 5 gal extract recipe?

ws

hell yaeh, my two favs, mole and beer, together at last. one addition i would make, to simulate the nutiness of mole, is some victory, toasted 2-row, or some malt that gives a pronouonced nutty flavor.

waskelton4 said:

ws

There was a thread on this the other day and I think the concensus was that you just divide it in two. Oh wait, sorry, didn't notice the extract part of your post.

waskelton4 said:

ws

Do you mini-mash or steep? I think you could simply make your favorite porter and then add the other extras in the secondary

Converting an AG recipe to extract + grains:

As a general rule, keep the specialty grains the same, and replace the base malts with LME or DME to hit the target gravity. (Beer Recipator or Pro Mash or something is helpful here).

Some grains, such as the Munich in this recipe, are problematic. You can steep munich for flavor, but you won't extract sugars.

If you do partial boils, you'll need more bittering hops to achieve the desired IBUs--again, Beer Recipator or Pro Mash or something is helpful here.

cweston said:
Converting an AG recipe to extract + grains:

Some grains, such as the Munich in this recipe, are problematic. You can steep munich for flavor, but you won't extract sugars.
How about steeping the grains in a mini mash for 60 minutes at about 152 degrees and then sparge with some 170 degree water? Shouldn't that cnvert the Munich?

RichBrewer said:
How about steeping the grains in a mini mash for 60 minutes at about 152 degrees and then sparge with some 170 degree water? Shouldn't that cnvert the Munich?
It will, but you won't get great efficiency (unless your mini-mash is essentially set up like a full-mash, in which case...just do a full mash!). Note that the Munich is almost 13% of the recipe, so it makes a significant contribution to the fermentables at 75% efficiency, which you won't typically get in a mini-mash.

RichBrewer said:

Sure. But Waskelton4, who's the one that asked about an extract version, is on like his first batch ever, so I figured he's not interested in making it any more complicated than it has to be.

Baron von BeeGee said:
It will, but you won't get great efficiency (unless your mini-mash is essentially set up like a full-mash, in which case...just do a full mash!). Note that the Munich is almost 13% of the recipe, so it makes a significant contribution to the fermentables at 75% efficiency, which you won't typically get in a mini-mash.
So it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the bother to add Munich to an extract/grain recipe. What kind of extract might replace it?
:off:
Someone needs to invent a small mashing/lautering system for folks who don't have the room for a full AG set-up.
The recipe listed for a 5 gallon batch would have about 3 1/2 pounds of grain. The strike water would be about 1 gallon. There has got to be a cooler somewhere that is small enough for this. The sparge would be maybe 2 gallons? Batch sparge and you would have about 2 1/2 gallons of wort. Add the extract to that and proceed as normal. I would think the cooler could be a tall 2 or 3 gallon size.
We are talking minimum expense and less time consuming.
It might even be a good idea to add a couple pounds of 2 row to assist the mash. This would put the strike water at about a gallon and a half.
Am I out of my mind? :cross:

cweston said:
Sure. But Waskelton4, who's the one that asked about an extract version, is on like his first batch ever, so I figured he's not interested in making it any more complicated than it has to be.

this is true..

I think when the time comes (which may be way on down the line) I'll take the "brew your favorite porter and add the extra stuff in secondary" route..

but i always like reading what folks have to offer :)

thanks team!:mug:

will

I used two 2gallon buckets as a mini lauter tun as per Papazian when I was getting ready for AG. You can handle about 5lbs of grain in it. Works like a hot-damn too. For the mash I just did it in a big pot and stuck it in the oven set to 150.

Igloo and rubbermaid make small 1 and 2 gallon coolers. It would probably be pretty easy to convert one with a SS braid into a mini mash tun.

RichBrewer said:

I think munich has enough diastatic power to convert itself so, yes that should work in my opinion. Also, I think you can find munich extract now if you look hard enough.

Brewsmith said:
I found this:

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=IGL+LEG+2G+BLUE&HDR=personbeverage

Two gallons with a spigot. Just remove the spigot, and replace with SS braid, false bottom, or manifold, and a valve. Would be perfect for only a couple pounds of grain.
I bet that would work. I also think that you might be able to find that cooler cheaper if you look for sales.
I'm thinking about starting another thread tonight. Lets put our heads together and see if we can make this work for some of the extract brewers that want to try all grain but don't have the time or space to do AG.:mug:

EDIT: Sorry about the hijack BREWPASTOR

i've not seen any comments on the flavor profile of this beer. Who's brewed it and how did it turn out? Is it spicy at all or just a chili taste? Chili powder doesn't seem spicy at all to me, but others could think otherwise. I'm brewing a two gallon version of this today and am considering using Cayenne pepper either instead of or along with Chili powder is why i'm curiuos. I'd like a little heat but don't want to screw up the flavor profile.

I brewed a 2 gallon batch of this and was sorely disappointed in it. The beer was fine but the spice mixture ruined it. Scaled it down to correct ratio, just wasn't good at all.

Back