Dunkleweizen high FG..the top blew off of the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey1

Reaction score
Hello, my dunkleweizen had a OG of 1.06 after three days the airlock stopped bubbling and I gave the batch seven more days...I took the FG today and it was only 1.03 it should be 1.01-1.014....however the lid blew off the fermenter one day into fermentation is it possible that I lost some yeast when the lid blew off? Should I re pitch or let it go for another week? Thanks for any help...I did search the forum but couldn't find a post dirrectly relative to my problem

So although there is living yeast in the krausen that probably went everywhere as your lid blew off, there is not enough to stop the fermentation. When people use blow-off tubes (something you may want to consider with gravities that high) they actually let that krausen leave the fermenter all together. Depending on the cleanliness of the area where it happened and how long the lid was off for you could have gotten an infection that is halting your brew, but i sort of doubt that. I would give it another week, take the gravity, and see where its at. Also, make sure your hydrometer is reading 0.000 in pure water and that you are adjusting for any temperature differences from what your hydrometer is calibrated to (it should say it on the scale). If the beer is still that high in a week, consider pitching some yeast.

I swirled the batch around a little..cleaned the airlock and put everything back together...after 30 minutes the airlock was slowly bubbling again....thanks a lot for taking out time to respond...that's what makes this a great place...and a great hobby

So...I re-pitched with nottingham yeast....no activity and the FG is still not dropping. Its beens in the primary 3 weeks....after the swirl..it did drop to 1.027 but still needs to come down at least .01......any advice or should I go ahead and bottle...the FG has not dropped in over a week

Back